Question X570 Motherboard Choice - Need Feedback

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I'm still having a hell of a time deciding on an X570 motherboard to go with for my upcoming Boxing Day upgrade. I'll be getting a 3700X or 3800X (depends on sale price at my local store), and will be pairing it with an existing kit of 4x8GB 3200mhz RAM. Depending on what the current generation AMD CPU pricing does over the next couple years, I'd also like to have the capability to upgrade to a 3900X or 3950X depending on price. As such, I'm not really considering B450 motherboards.

I'm very much at a loss as far as which motherboard I want to go with though. My budget is around $300 CAD for the motherboard. I don't have too many stipulations regarding the board itself. Really I just want an ATX board to keep using my current case (Meshify C), and I don't want to use Gigabyte product.

There are 4 motherboards I'm bouncing back and forth between.

Asrock X570 Extreme4 ATX
Asrock X570 Steel Legend ATX
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon
Asus Prime X570 Pro

I've heard the X570 TUF from Asus would also be a decent option, though I'm not particularly sold on the grey coloring.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Typically IMO the best value X570 boards for their features:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $169.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 12:18 EST-0500

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $179.99

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $199.99

The Steel Legend is good too, it's along the lines of the Gaming X - their the entry level boards. The TUF and the AORUS are more higher mid range, but for the price, you get a good chunk of what the high end get, which IMO makes the higher end not worth the extra.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Typically IMO the best value X570 boards for their features:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $169.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 12:18 EST-0500

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $179.99

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $199.99

The Steel Legend is good too, it's along the lines of the Gaming X - their the entry level boards. The TUF and the AORUS are more higher mid range, but for the price, you get a good chunk of what the high end get, which IMO makes the higher end not worth the extra.

I'm pretty set against using anything from Gigabyte due to a ton of issues with the product I've had from them before. Fool me once...

With the TUF Gaming, is it mostly just a case of not overpaying for the same feature set?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The ASUS is probably your best pick... It has decent VRMs, but you should look at the ASUS Prime X570-P which has better VRMs than the Prime and is cheaper ($250 vs $200), just make sure the board meets all your requirements.

The two Asrocks did not do that well with VRM temps. But do NOT even consider the MSi MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon. I bought that board and the VRMs totally sucked, hitting temps of about 100 degrees under load which is a lot hotter than any other boards other than the other MSi MPG boards (which can reach 125+ degrees). The MSi would throttle down the CPU speed to ~800 MHz until the VRMs cooled down and then ramp up to full speed. When the VRMs hit 100 degrees again, it throttled back the CPU again. This repeated itself every minute, which rendered my new rig literally useless.

I ended up dumping the MSi (MSi refused to acknowledge the board had any issues, several online reviews reported how bad the VRM designs are on all of the MSI MPG line of boards, their more expensive MEG line does not have this issue) and bought a ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero which averages 55 degrees C on the VRMs under load which is dang impressive. The only boards that performed better were double the price ($700+). I can tell you that the ASUS board is great, it runs a smidgen faster than the MSi and had more ports (a dozen rear USB and eight SATA) but with only two M.2 slots (vs the MSi's three).

The ASUS Prime X570P hit 75 degrees and the ASUS Prime X570 Pro hit 80 degrees in thermal testing. The two Asrock boards hit 90-95 degrees C. Any board exceeding 80 degrees should be avoided.

Mind you that all of your selections will probably work fine with any 65-watt AMD CPU, some will prevent you from upgrading to a 105-watt CPU down the road, such as a AMD 3900X/3950X or 3800X because of the CPU higher power demand...

You should view the Hardware Unboxed videos on YouTube on the X570 boards. They did several reviews on about 15 boards, just search by their name with X570 in the criteria.

I've built a rig for my little brother using the X570 Steel Legend wifi and to be honest I was pretty impressed with the motherboard, good features, the VRM does not run hot at all, I only have couple of fans inside the case, intake and out and it's rock solid even with overclocking all the time.