Discussion x570s vs x570 Dark Hero - What are the expected differences, and added functionality if any?

Just as the title suggests, what would the difference be between the ASUS x570 Dark Hero motherboard and the expected x570s motherboards that are coming out with passively cooled chipsets? As far as I am aware this is the only confirmed benefit of the upcoming AM4 based x570s motherboards, are there more features coming with these motherboards? If this is the only benefit of the x570s motherboards then does that make the x570 Dark Hero board a pseudo x570s board?

I am starting this conversation on the basis of getting either a 5900x or 5950x and giving my friend my older x570-f board from ASUS along with the 3900x. I very much like the idea of not having a chipset fan because if it dies later on sourcing a new one may be impossible. I am also considering getting a new board to push my memory speed to 4000 with tight timings for the previously mentioned 5000 CPUs.

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to discuss this topic. I am sure that if even I, someone who keeps up with tech, have some questions then a fair few people may have some as well.

the question makes no sense unless comparing features of the chipset alone

I think the x570s will have exactly the same features of the x570 chipset on the dark hero, minus the need for an annoyingly huge and heavy heatsink. But who knows, it's pure speculation

You're better off getting a good B550 board for what you're proposing anyway. They don't need chipset fans already and push memory as high as you want. The only reason to get x570 is when you have urgent need of a lot of gen4 PCIe lanes for add-in devices. The only reason to get that x570 board is to use it's technical feature set that helps with extreme CPU overclocking on LN2.

Last edited:
the question makes no sense unless comparing features of the chipset alone
That is what the question was. The difference between two products that are similar are its features compared to the other.
I think the x570s will have exactly the same features of the x570 chipset on the dark hero, minus the need for an annoyingly huge and heavy heatsink. But who knows, it's pure speculation
Good to know, I was wondering if anyone else could find something on them besides the obvious known shared feature.
You're better off getting a good B550 board for what you're proposing anyway. They don't need chipset fans already and push memory as high as you want. The only reason to get x570 is when you have urgent need of a lot of gen4 PCIe lanes for add-in devices. The only reason to get that x570 board is to use it's technical feature set that helps with extreme CPU overclocking on LN2.
I could get a B550 board, but with a gen4 drive on the way along with a 3080 I see the extra pcie 4.0 lanes as something that I certainly want, but not necessarily need. I am left with either a B550 board without enough pcie 4.0 lanes, an outrageously overkill ASUS motherboard with all the features I want, or waiting for the unreleased x570s motherboards if I want no chipset fans and pcie 4.0 lanes. The Dark Hero's technical maximum use of its feature set is not the only reason to consider this motherboard is my point, you just have to pay 450 dollars for it if you really want it. Keep the discussion rolling, those were great points.