Question X79-ud3 PCI slot how to connect PCI card with 3cuts in pci connector?

Eikonikos Eikon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
Hi I have the x79-ud3 gigabyte motherboard. It has a pci slot on it, and there I wanted to connect a Konig PCI card which has 4 USB 2.0 ports on its back , and 1 extra USB 2.0 port on its side. However, the Konig card 's PCI output connector has 2 cuts, and the PCI slot has one cut. The Konig card 's right part is shorter than the slot's length of the same part. How to connect?

Mer08

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
Can you share some pictures? I can't seem to understand what you're trying to say.

Hi I have the x79-ud3 gigabyte motherboard. It has a pci slot on it, and there I wanted to connect a Konig PCI card which has 4 USB 2.0 ports on its back , and 1 extra USB 2.0 port on its side. However, the Konig card 's PCI output connector has 2 cuts, and the PCI slot has one cut. The Konig card 's right part is shorter than the slot's length of the same part. How to connect?
What exact Konig Card ? It might be PCI while that MB has only PCIe(express) slots and those don't mix. are not compatible with each other.

Reactions: Eikonikos Eikon

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
If the Konig USB 2.0 card looks like the one below, it's old fashioned PCI card, not modern PCI Express.

Do NOT try to plug a PCI card into a PCIe slot. For a start, it won't fit and more important, you'll probably kill the motherboard.

71T6TIpQUL._SX522_.jpg

However, there's nothing to stop you plugging the Konig card into the PCI slot on your X79-UD3 motherboard. It's the slot with "Ultra Durable 3 ON/OFF Charge" silk screened on the PCB (see image below). Whether or not you find any drivers for your Operating System and such an old card is a different matter.

On close inspection, you should see the left hand end of the one and only PCI connector does not line up with the ends of all the other (PCIe) connectors. This is designed to make it more difficult to plug the wrong type of card into an incompatible slot.

gigabyte-ga-x79-ud3-4.jpg

As for the presence of one or two notches on a PCI card, they define whether the card is 5V only, 3.3V only or universal (5V and 3.3V). See quote from Wiki page below:-

Typical PCI cards have either one or two key notches, depending on their signaling voltage. Cards requiring 3.3 volts have a notch 56.21 mm from the card backplate; those requiring 5 volts have a notch 104.47 mm from the backplate. This allows cards to be fitted only into slots with a voltage they support. "Universal cards" accepting either voltage have both key notches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect

If the card fits into the PCI socket that's OK. If the card doesn't fit, it's not compatible.

Reactions: Eikonikos Eikon