Question X99 Deluxe Sits at code 99

GracieAllen

Honorable
Dec 8, 2015
I have a system that's several years old, built with an ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard. Works fine. Windows 10 Pro.

EXCEPT, for the last few weeks, about 75-80% of the time (NOT 100%) it's been VERY slow to boot. It starts, displays the logo and "hit Del to enter BIOS, then sits. I watched the Codes as it booted and it gets to code 99, then just sits there for 90 seconds or so, then continues booting.

In the ASUS Manual it says it's doing "Super IO Initialization" but I have no idea what this is OR why it takes forever sometimes... when it DOESN'T do the extremely slow boot, it runs through the codes normally, displays a 99 for a second and continues on. But as I said, at LEAST 75-80% of the time, it sits there with a 99 for a minute or more.

Nothing has changed in the box or in the software. Once it boots it runs fine.

What IS Super IO Initialization, and why does it take over a minute most of the time?

GracieAllen

Honorable
Dec 8, 2015
I hadn't thought about that...

It gets stranger...
If I do a cold boot from powering up the power supply, it boots fine. No 99.
If I do a "normal" shutdown/restart I get the 99 and it sits for about 80 seconds. BUT, if during the time its sitting there I hit reset, it does a warm? boot and it's fine, no 99, no sitting...

Does that sound like it could be the battery?