[SOLVED] X99 not recognising ram

Feb 7, 2020
Hello all,

I am struggling to get all my ram to be recognised by all slots on the motherboard.
I have had a search for this issue but nothing matching my problem comes up

For the purposes of this issue my system is as follows (built Aug 2015):
Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard (with bios update 4101)​
I7-5930k CPU​
EVGA GTX970 GPU​
2 * 8MB DIMMs 2400MHz Crucial Ballistix (BLS8G4D240FSA)​
AND PURCHASED THIS MONTH
2 * 8MB DIMMs 2400MHz Micron Ballistix (BLS8G4D240FSBK)
Everything else is disconnected for the below investigation

1. I haven't tried to use the number 2 slots yet as from my understanding, they only come active when the number 1 slots are all full.
  2. The system can't see any memory on slot B1 (with one exception as below)
  3. Putting RAM only into slot B1 will always give me a code 53 error on the LED display
  4. The newer RAM sometimes doesn't get recognised - I can't really see a pattern, apart from that I swap it around from the A/B side to the C/D side and sometimes the newer RAM disappears completely.
  5. I have removed the CPU, inspected the LGA (both sides) under a magnifing glass, to see if there is any visible damage; and replaced.
  6. exception sometimes when I press the CMOS reset button all the RAM will show up; but, upon reboot, it has vanished again.

This is driving me stir fry crazy. Can anyone help me please with this issue. The new and old RAM have nearly identical part numbers (apart from the last few digits) and look similar apart from slight differences on the heat sink metalwork and the fact that the old RAM was made in the States and the new RAM made on Malaysia; I don't think this should cause any issues?)

Thanks for your time

Hufforguk

Solution
Mixing RAMs outside of a kit is always a gamble even if they have the same model number because they might have different chips like Samsung vs Hynix and different die like D-die vs B-die. It might or might not work.