Question XB1 controller shows up in Device Manager but is not detected by games or Xbox Accessories app ?

ExTxL

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
I have an Xbox One controller attached to my Windows 11 PC via USBIP* and it shows up in Device Manager and Control Panel, appearing to be connected as normal with no errors in the event log. In Device Manager, the controller's drivers appear to be up-to-date, showing it as an "Xbox One Controller" w/ driver version 10.0.22000.1 (clicking Update Driver says the best driver is already installed). However, input from the controller is not detected on my PC, nor is its presence detected by the Xbox Accessories app, which normally displays all connected XB1 controllers. Does anyone have any troubleshooting** advice?

*For the unfamiliar, USBIP is a method of forwarding USB ports to other computers over a network. I'm using a specific fork, USBIP-Win, that works on Windows. On the USBIP end, it appears everything is working correctly; my server PC (where the XB1 controller is physically attached) was able to bind the controller, and my client PC was able to attach it.

**On the hardware side of things, this XB1 controller normally works when it is plugged directly into the PC (aka without using USBIP). The microUSB cable and physical USB port on the server PC also work fine. So I don't imagine it's a hardware issue.

ExTxL

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Might be a stupid answer, but under device manager, is it listed as a controller? Have you tried doing the calibration in device manager?
Not a stupid question at all. Dev Mgmt listed it as "Xbox One Controller" and I didn't see an option to calibrate, but I might have missed it. I'll try that, as well as uninstalling the driver then rebooting, once I have access to that computer again next week.

ExTxL

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
No option to calibrate, and uninstalling the driver and rebooting didn't make a difference, unfortunately. Thankful for your responses and would love any additional suggestions anyone might have!

Jul 14, 2022
I have something similar, but with an arcade stick that has a Brook Universal PCB that's in XBox One mode. Whenever the PC is booted up, this happens. If I unplug and replug the USB-B cable then it appears in the Game Controllers section just fine. If I change the PCB to be in Xbox360 or PS4 mode, then it works just fine after rebooting, without needing to unplug.

It would be nice to not have to keep replugging the cable after each reboot.

5iIB5v7.jpg