Xbox 360 CPU vs other CPUs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

10 MiB, 256GB/s transfer rate, 500MHz clock
NEC designed eDRAM die includes additional logic (192 parallel pixel processors) for color, alpha compositing, Z/stencil buffering, and anti-aliasing called “Intelligent Memory”, giving developers 4-sample anti-aliasing at very little performance cost.

There's been no official release so far. Seeing as how Microsoft loves to use portable APIs it's possible that the dev kits that are circulating may not reflect the final product at all.

My speculation is that we will see products that are very similar in design to the last generation. Say what you will about anaemic system specifications, there's no reason for them to reinvent the wheel when the last generation worked so well. They will be newer, they will be more powerful, but they will be fundamentally similar in design.

I have a feeling that AMD and IBM will be the winners again.

I doubt it. The AMD APUs are having a massive identity crisis right now. They're targeted towards entry level users. They don't have enough compute power to take on the entry level Sandybridge processors at the same price point and they don't have enough graphical power to play games effectively. They're competing at a severe disadvantage. They're targeting an extremely narrow market and the sales numbers show it.

The current generation AMD APUs are barely on par with last generation's consoles. The A8-3870k's built in HD 6550D is at best half again as powerful as the 8 year old Xenos GPU in the XBox 360 and RSX GPU in the PS3 (they are remarkably similar in capabilities).

It took 6 years for Microsoft to combine the Xenon and Xenos into one chip. I don't see them castrating the next console that badly as a cost saving measure

I disagree. Have a look at this graph, I'm pretty sure consoles do not run high settings at 60+ fps.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/4/T/343613/original/batman%201280.png

They seem quite impressive to me.

EDIT: and furthermore, IF a console were to receive the APU, I'm sure optimizations would yield loads of extra performance over current PC games.

The new Trinity APUs are a very much needed improvement over Llano but that's still still high at 1280x720 (720p) which right now would occupy less than a quarter of my screenspace. 1920x1080 is the benchmark right now with 2560x1440 being the target and even the top end Trinity APUs are still mediocre at best at high resolutions and medium settings. If they want to use a single chip from the very beginning of the console lifecycle they have a long way to go.

Console optimizations don't do much for the GPU, it's mostly the CPU that benefits

For the next gen, it could be anything. Hopefully sony listens to devs though and makes something easy to program, although that's been a grip with dev's since the PS2, so who knows. lol.

There has been rumors they may use an APU type chip and a dedicated graphics. Reason being APU is used in the dashboard for basic graphics, etc, less heat, less power draw, etc then switch to the dedicated for gaming. If it's a good enough APU, they could even use that for video play back, thus decreasing power and heat again.

As for comparing the chips in there to today's components, you can't really. They are designed different with different instructions, OS, etc. Look how hard it is to emulate this systems.

The fact that PS2 emulation can be finally run on a modern day multi-core, mega ram system shows they are very efficient at what they do. XBox 1 emulation has like 2 games working on it. If these system were soooo slow, we should be able to run them on todays system no problem, but we can't. XBox 360 or PS3, good luck.

We're talking about console games. Currently they run often less than 720p and medium settings.

Most LCDs and Plasma displays support the 1080p format natively and deinterlace 1080i signals before displaying them. The 1080i format was native to early HD CRTs. 1080i is the preferred broadcast field format because it cuts down on the bandwidth that each channel consumes.

Regardless, the transmission resolution is independent of the internal resolution. Each 1080i frame corresponds to a different instant in time so the entire scene still needs to be computed twice regardless of whether or not its transmitted at 1080i or 1080p.

No... just no. Im not going to argue with someone who is this indoctrinated.

InvalidError

Titan

Video playback does not require much of an APU to decode. On my 5 years old C2D-E8400, I can already simultaneously play back three 1080p streams in software. The Nexus7's Tegra3 can decode 1080p h264 without skipping a beat either when using GPU acceleration.

There may be somewhat of a challenge if we step things up to 4k h265.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008

That is true most of the time however some run at even less than 720P and are upscaled.

MW2=600P
Halo 3=640P

Some games are 1080P native on console but they are usually racing games and few and far between. Consoles don't have the video memory bandwith to easily do high resolution and the video cards have limited ROP's so rendering a lot of pixels kills performance.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
What the next console won't have is native 1080p resolution with no upscaling and the equivalent of a 6870 in graphics grunt which is an average mid range PC now. It will still be heavily limited and already obsolete when its released. Good for AMD if its chosen again though.

Perhaps, but not at the moment. They've currently got Windows 8, the next XBox, and the Surface tablets in their product pipeline.

Many people say that the handheld market is dying in favor of tablets and while there is evidence to support this I believe that the reason for the market failure is mostly due to negligence on part of Sony and Nintendo to leverage the platform on the latest devices. The PSVita is an amazingly powerful handheld but has only a bunch of crummy sports games available for it right now. The 3DS didn't see wide success because it didn't improve sufficiently over the DS Lite.

Microsoft would be very wise to bring XNA to a handheld market with actual buttons rather than the prolific and unresponsive touchpads that we have right now. However, it would have to be positioned properly in a market that actually has room for such a device and right now it doesn't.