Xbox 360 Finally Outsells Nintendo's Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Well of course. All the kids have their Wiis and they got bored with it and it's collecting dust. Now the kids want something that has more value: XBOX360 or PS3. Hm mommy thinks PS3 is too expensive and they never watch or need to watch Blu-Ray... XBOX360 Arcade it is, $150 vs $300-$400.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Outsold the Wii by 25,000. Just keep this up for another 160 or so months and you'll pass the Wii in sales! These analysts were totally on the mark.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Maybe people realizes that the XBOX does more for media integration, have better games (and even have better graphics), and actually have friends you know who plays on XBOX Live.

I have a PS3, and besides Borderlands with multiplayer single-player missions co-op, there's not much else in terms for gaming. Blu-ray is pretty much the only reason one would need a PS3. And with BR players cheaper, the reason to get a PS3 is even lower.

Not to mention, I am a mobile game developer. Windows Phone 7 will be cross-platformed on XBOX and Windows PC. So I will probably need to get my own XBOX.

And this is without mentioning Project Natal > Playstation Dildo, I mean, PS Move.

[citation][nom]ehanger[/nom]do a 360 and walk away[/citation]

LOL! You mean a 180?
360 would leave you facing the same direction!

Just wanted to say I have those top 3 games and I am yet to play through Bioshock 2 but the other 2 games were pretty good.

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
It's going to be a pretty interesting holiday season once Microsoft's Project Natel and Sony's "Move" make their debuts....talk about becoming a level playing field as far as video game interaction is concerned, Nintendo better watch out.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
The Wii was/is a fad. I don't think the Wii is done leading sales, but if Nintendo doesn't want their system collecting dust it's time for some quality games.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I bet if PS3 didn't have the availability problem right now they'd be selling quite a few more consoles. All of the retailers I know of have empty shelves. Even the online retailers have a wait time.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]I bet if PS3 didn't have the availability problem right now they'd be selling quite a few more consoles. All of the retailers I know of have empty shelves. Even the online retailers have a wait time.[/citation]

Do you live in the middle of nowhere? That's about the only explanation I can think of because I could go out and buy 50 Playstation 3's without going more than 15 miles out here in Austin.

G

Wow! Someone actually thought that the 360 passed the Wii in lifetime sales? LOL! You must actually have a life!

The Wii wouldn't have gone from the crazy month that was December's sales to being second to the 360 without its supply being constrained.

The PS3's increase in sales are only so good because the sales were so low in the past. Their probably coming close to the numbers they were expecting at launch.

Nintendo sure as hell better come correct with the games. But I think that if they focus too heavily on core gamers, they'll only be disappointed. I've seen far too many folks say, "Nintendo has no games for the Wii in 2010!". Then we look and see that they have Mario and Metroid for Q2 2010 and perhaps Zelda for Q4. That should be enough for Big N. But I doubt that the 3rd-party games like Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri and Epic Mickey will be enough to convince that stubborn "hardcore" to take a plunge.

I'm really excited about the Wii's lineup for 2010. WAY more than I was in 2009. And I still haven't even gotten Bioshock 2 or Heavy Rain yet.

And the backlog continues to grow on all 3 platforms for me! :(

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Right now the PS3 is sold out almost everywhere. I had to go to 4 stores to find one on the day of FF XIII release. I love it and with more and more movie rentals having the Blue Ray option it is a win win situation. I used a HDMI cable (not the supplied RGB) to hook it up. It flawlessly found and linked up to wireless network.
Off subject, FF XIII is gorgeous and runs in full 1080P even during gameplay. Still prefer FF XII battle system

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]aethm[/nom]The Wii was/is a fad. I don't think the Wii is done leading sales, but if Nintendo doesn't want their system collecting dust it's time for some quality games.[/citation]

I am not sure that is going to help either. The only thing the Wii has going for it now are titles like Mario and Metroid.

The sharks are swimming closer to the Wii's territory and there is nothing significant the Wii can throw at it. (pardon the pun)

dr sleep

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The possibility of market saturation aside, we knew the Wii would lose steam. Nintendo is typically not a modern-thinking company, and tends to lag in business strategy. I'd go so far as to call them oblivious. It's been almost 4 years now. If they had wanted to hold the top spot they gained, they'd have capitalized on their lead and started R&D on a successor way back in '06. Instead we get hints about a wii that "might" support hi def - or something, or a newer, slightly different DS. But research shows only 49% (or whatever) of homes can use HD content, so they just rest on their laurels instead. Now the competition is catching on with motion gaming and nintendo's answer is, "Hey! New Mario/Zelda/Metroid game on the distant horizon!" and stupid stuff like selectively not releasing games (i.e. Fatal Frame 4) that could widen the fanbase - for no good reason besides that Mario was selling enough.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Well of course. All the kids have their Wiis and they got bored with it and it's collecting dust. Now the kids want something that has more value: XBOX360 or PS3. Hm mommy thinks PS3 is too expensive and they never watch or need to watch Blu-Ray... XBOX360 Arcade it is, $150 vs $300-$400.[/citation]

Did you miss the part of the article where it mentioned that the Wii still sold 397,000 units?

Given that the Wii has sold over 68 million consoles world-wide, still holds the record for the highest single month sales of any console in history, and is still pushing almost 400k units in a month during which console sales generally were down 15% from the year before. That being the case, your conclusion hardly seems justified.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]there's got to be saturation point to Nintendo systems....one of these days, DS will hit ceiling too...............maybe.......[/citation]

The same reasoning would apply to XBOX 360 and PS3 as well. And given that Nintendo is the only one of the three companies that has presently found a way to reach a vastly larger segment of the population, it makes sense that the point at which the Wii's market would become saturated is considerably higher than the 360 and PS3.

The Wii is selling faster, but there appear to be many more potential buyers right now than for the 360 or PS3. That may change once the new motion controllers launch, but only time will tell. For now, the Wii appears to be going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS