Xbox 360 Gets 250GB Standalone HDD Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
250Gb for 129.99$ is outrageous, my PS3 has a 320Gb Scorpio Black that was priced at 75.00$ w/ free shipping ... What MS has to do is create a side panel that will allow sata drives to be swaped, this way users that have a 360 no longer have to buy that bulky overpriced HDD. Not exactly rocket science..

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I don't get this. Standalone 250gb hdds have been available in South America for several months now. And these are not mock ups, they are the real thing from Microsoft.

mrddr6

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]250Gb for 129.99$ is outrageous, my PS3 has a 320Gb Scorpio Black that was priced at 75.00$ w/ free shipping ... What MS has to do is create a side panel that will allow sata drives to be swaped, this way users that have a 360 no longer have to buy that bulky overpriced HDD. Not exactly rocket science..[/citation] But then it would be just that much more like a PC.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]250Gb for 129.99$ is outrageous, my PS3 has a 320Gb Scorpio Black that was priced at 75.00$ w/ free shipping ... What MS has to do is create a side panel that will allow sata drives to be swaped, this way users that have a 360 no longer have to buy that bulky overpriced HDD. Not exactly rocket science..[/citation]

Why on earth would Microsoft do that? Right now, you use what Microsoft tells you to use, or run the risk of damaging your system or being banned from XBL. As a result, you pay what they tell you you're going to pay. They have no incentive to stop selling HDDs for such high prices. You might not like it (lord knows, I don't), but it makes perfect sense from the standpoint of a company trying to maximize its profits.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I don't understand why anyone would down-vote OvrClker. Yes! Lets pay more for a drive that you can pay for, non-propitiatory-ized, for half the price! Anyone who disagrees are CLEARLY ANTI-MICROSOFT.

Jeeze, even the 360 fans should be upset that this drive is horrifically overpriced. Sony may have done the right thing, where you can plop in any standard 2.5" drive, but that doesn't mean that we're hatin' on Xbox. 360 users deserve better, for the commitment and for the already expensive accessories and fees (LIVE) they pay. Come on, throw us a bone, Microsoft!

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Verrin[/nom]I don't understand why anyone would down-vote OvrClker. Yes! Lets pay more for a drive that you can pay for, non-propitiatory-ized, for half the price! Anyone who disagrees are CLEARLY ANTI-MICROSOFT.Jeeze, even the 360 fans should be upset that this drive is horrifically overpriced. Sony may have done the right thing, where you can plop in any standard 2.5" drive, but that doesn't mean that we're hatin' on Xbox. 360 users deserve better, for the commitment and for the already expensive accessories and fees (LIVE) they pay. Come on, throw us a bone, Microsoft![/citation]

Until Microsoft determines that forcing proprietary hardware on users is materially impacting sales of the system and cutting into their profits, it seems unlikely that the practice will change. It sucks, but for the majority of users, the price of a hard drive upgrade isn't enough to deter them from buying the console. Moreover, I imagine that it is only a small segment of the total market that wants or needs a 250GB HDD - it might be a different story if, like the PS3, significant quantities of data were directly installed to the HDD, but right now, that's not the case.

[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]They are still way behind, I can get a 500 Gig for my PS3 and i can get it for less than that 250 Gig 360 Drive. Go PS3........[/citation]

"Behind" in terms of what? Monthly or annual console sales? Software sales? Revenue from online subscriptions? Revenue from DLC?

A small percentage of the market might want the ability to use whatever size drive they can buy, but most users seem perfectly fine with the sizes currently available for the 360. If making larger drives available would significantly impact their profits, they would probably release larger drives.

Nightskeeter

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
It's so funny when 360 players get ripped off by expensive Old hardware.

360 Elite - $399
Wireless adapter - $90
$10 fee to microsoft per game sold with a $60 tag on all new games.
Now this? $129 250GB hard-drives?
Let me guess the Flash drive they announced, Another $100
The Crappy HD-DVD drive $100 - Although HD-DVD Failed big time, so no need to get it.
Project Natal - At least $100+ when it comes out.

Over 900, Not including monitor/TV!

I just wish people would understand how much money they get pickpocketed by microsoft and they don't even care.

Look to the far right of this page, 2 TB Caviar Green SATA HD for $169.

I guess you guys can care less what price to performance means. I have both the PS3 and the 360, this is why I posted in the first place.

We are not getting our moneys worth. The 360 alone cost me 400.00 a few years back and now you are telling me that I have to pay 130.00$ for 250.00Gb?? No thanks =)

Sony does not make you pay more for extra storage, why would you let MS do it? Becuause you want them to make a profit?? I guess everyone has their own opinions...

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Nightskeeter[/nom]Look to the far right of this page, 2 TB Caviar Green SATA HD for $169.[/citation]

In my area Fry's is selling a retail Hitachi 2tb hard drive for $128.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I think that the price is outrageous. I wouldn't buy it at that price, but I won't hack another drive for cheaper either. Besides which I only play a few games on my 360, the rest of the time it is streaming netflix, or the media hub for my 3 TB of storage on my computer.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Nightskeeter[/nom]It's so funny when 360 players get ripped off by expensive Old hardware.360 Elite - $399Wireless adapter - $90$10 fee to microsoft per game sold with a $60 tag on all new games.Now this? $129 250GB hard-drives?Let me guess the Flash drive they announced, Another $100The Crappy HD-DVD drive $100 - Although HD-DVD Failed big time, so no need to get it.Project Natal - At least $100+ when it comes out.Over 900, Not including monitor/TV!I just wish people would understand how much money they get pickpocketed by microsoft and they don't even care.Look to the far right of this page, 2 TB Caviar Green SATA HD for $169.[/citation]

Let's tell the truth this time around.

360 Elite "with" 120GB drive = $300
Wireless "N" adapter = Not required but ~$75 from Walmart
10$ fee per game, no argument there, sucks paying over $50 on PS3 and 360
250GB HDD = Don't need it with the 120GB included with the Elite
Flash support = Adds support for 3rd party flash drives, not only MS branded ones. This is a good thing, not a negative.
HD-DVD???? = Nobody wants it and it will not play games.
Natal = Optional and who cares

So $300 or $375 if you want wireless N, Not including monitor or TV of course. But most people already own a TV and I doubt they use it "just" for their 360.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]I guess you guys can care less what price to performance means. I have both the PS3 and the 360, this is why I posted in the first place. We are not getting our moneys worth.[/citation]

A pure price to performance analysis fails to consider that different people place value on different things, and also ignores the fact that a lot of us, if not most of us, don't need 250GB or more of storage. Your average 360 user can still probably get by just fine with 20 or 60 GB, since not all of us use our consoles to store our entire music and movie collections. If you don't need extra storage, it is irrelevant how much it costs.

[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]Sony does not make you pay more for extra storage, why would you let MS do it?[/citation]

I don't know what you mean when you ask, "why would you let MS do it?". If you have a problem with it, don't buy it - that is not a difficult solution to figure out. Not buying Microsoft's products is the clearest way to send a message that people won't stand for this sort of pricing. Unfortunately, you're ignoring the fact that for the last 4-5 years, people have continued to buy these products, despite the fact that they are priced outrageously high, which allows Microsoft to keep using this same model for new hardware (in fact, it encourages them to do so). That suggests that most people aren't as bothered by the pricing scheme as you, or me, or the other patrons of places like Tom's hardware.

[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]Becuause you want them to make a profit?? I guess everyone has their own opinions...[/citation]

That assumption is not justified by anything anyone in this thread has said. No one has said that they want Microsoft to make a profit, or that they like this pricing model. What some of us have said is that if making a profit is Microsoft's goal, which it almost certainly is, then this business model makes sense. I don't like this pricing scheme - I WANT more storage for less money - but I can't deny that Microsoft has found a successful business model.

Right now, whether you like it or not, Microsoft has no incentive NOT to keep using this model, because people are still buying the hardware. As long as that continues, why would they start doing things differently?

E: Formatting fail.

a 360 user that can get by with 30/60Gbs is not even looking at this drive so your point is meaningless.. You want to pay more for less then go ahead buddy, im not falling for this overpriced drive =)

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Nightskeeter[/nom]It's so funny when 360 players get ripped off by expensive Old hardware.360 Elite - $399Wireless adapter - $90$10 fee to microsoft per game sold with a $60 tag on all new games.Now this? $129 250GB hard-drives?Let me guess the Flash drive they announced, Another $100The Crappy HD-DVD drive $100 - Although HD-DVD Failed big time, so no need to get it.Project Natal - At least $100+ when it comes out.Over 900, Not including monitor/TV!I just wish people would understand how much money they get pickpocketed by microsoft and they don't even care.Look to the far right of this page, 2 TB Caviar Green SATA HD for $169.[/citation]

Elite price in US is 299$ ( 2 games included )
An actual gamer wouldnt consider a wireless connection but that costs 79 from what i just saw or 99$ the new one ( N )
What 10$ fee?
The flash drives arent from MS, get your s*** straight.. Any short of flash drive you own you will be able to use on the 360 so there is no cost in that.
Project Natal they said it will cost less than 60 Euros so that will be enough less than 100$ which will be the price for half a Move bundle for our PS3s. Thats a price without the left part of the Move controller. Add that and then do it by x4. Natal is one for up to 4 users and its not a Wiimote remake with a ball on its top..

So look, while whoever has an issue with his 360 gets it fixxed for free from MS, even the shipping paid for, you do the math for how much you pay to repair PS3 drives etc that wont be covered from the 1year limited warant. I know I wont pay to fix my PS3, and im lucky I guess to also have a 360 from day one of release and my 360 had never died on me.

When you find out how much Sony makes from repairs to all their products ( cause its been proven that their waranties are like expiration dates and within the next month or 2 tops you have to pay way too much for their expensive services ) let me know, ok?

Thank you, come again. - APU

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Some corrections to you over the top biased drool...

Xbox 360 Elite: $299. Comes with two games.
Wireless Adapter: Not necessary.
$10 fee to MS: ??????? PS3 games cost the exact same price
250GB HDD: Not necessary. Console comes with a HDD.
Flash drive: Not necessary.
HD-DVD Drive: Not necessary, no one bought it, and it's not even for sale anymore.
Project Natal: Not necessary. Not even released.
TV: If you bought an Xbox 360 (or any video game console) you already own a TV. Once again, not necessary.

Okay so our corrected grand total is $299 w/ 2 games. You act like just because these items are for sale you are FORCED to buy them. You aren't. I don't have anything you mentioned above except for games. Most 360 owners don't. Nothing you listed is a requirement or a necessity to play ANY Xbox 360 games.

And honestly I can't think of a single reason why you would need a hard drive bigger than the 120GB one that is already provided. If you are downloading movies and such on your Xbox 360 you are already wasting money so the extra cost for the HDD shouldn't bother you too much anyway.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]We are not getting our moneys worth[/citation]

How can you be owner of both consoles and actually say that? Cause I also have the 360 from day one and I couldnt be more pleased. Its not like i have to install every other game on my 360 like I do with my PS3 and I need more space. I think 6TB on my PC is enough for storage. And its a fact that most PS3 gamers are clueless to gaming further than with their PS console so ofc they dont think of getting extra storage on their PCs cause their PS3s are their center of attention. Why do you think all this tension every single time this matter is brought up sony/ms?

I do own both as well and yet Im not happy from my PS3 instead. How can you tell me that when you bought your PS3 on release you are pleased that you FINALLY got a couple of exclusives worth the damn pricetag that the PS3 has had? And dont tell me about BD cause im talking about them as consoles. And gaming-wise BD has only forced installs, slower loading times and yet worst crossplatform games on my PS3 so my PS3 further than the exclusives is only to collect dust.

Yeah the 250GB with such pricetag is a lot, don't buy it like i wont. If you do have the need for more storage though, for some odd reason on your 360 then I guess go complain. Personally I don't find a reason for it. Like i dont think ill need to change my PS3's 250GB HDD from it.

Well I am not that pleased =) , specially for a console that is 5 years old. Look my only issue is with the drive, if you can care less then go ahead and say whatever. I work hard for my money, my point is that if Sony can give you the option to swap internal drives then there is no reason MS cannnot.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]a 360 user that can get by with 30/60Gbs is not even looking at this drive so your point is meaningless.. You want to pay more for less then go ahead buddy, im not falling for this overpriced drive =)[/citation]

I'm not trying to convince you to buy the hard drive - which you would have realized if you'd bothered to read my post.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Why on earth would Microsoft do that? Right now, you use what Microsoft tells you to use, or run the risk of damaging your system or being banned from XBL. As a result, you pay what they tell you you're going to pay. They have no incentive to stop selling HDDs for such high prices. You might not like it (lord knows, I don't), but it makes perfect sense from the standpoint of a company trying to maximize its profits.[/citation]

hmm.... why this sounds so familiar to me? Was that some kind of "fruit" company?..;)

yea, from a business point of view, it is perfectly understandable. However, you know most of the readers here. We do not like to be bound to "a" system and we like to have the freedem/fun of choice..:D
... and of course... the price from MS will never beat our beloved Newegg. lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.