Xbox One Boss Don Mattrick Leaves Microsoft for Zynga

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I really don't see the $100 price difference as an issue. It may sway some people on a tighter budget, but I look forward to using Xbone for Skype and motion/voice control as well as anything game developers think up. Kudos to Microsoft for including it. Sony was going to include their camera for another $100, but decided to cut it out to undercut the price of the Xbone. By including it in every system, I think it will be put to more use by game Devs.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
The first thing im doing with the kinect is - leave it in the box. I do not want to talk to my electronics or wave my arms around like an idiot. You shouldnt be required to use something you dont want to use in order to do something. Kind of like how the new zelda game required you to move around instead of using a plain old controller (dumbest move ever).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

it can see everyone in the room, so the first thing it does is asks you to pay more for a movie because to many people are watching it, hell it could just shut off if it sees one to many people

you cant use the system without kinect installed and on, though i dont know if it has to see you to let you play a game.

personally with prism i'm surprised that anyone wants it.

reyshan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
whiteodian, goodluck with your skype and other online stuff as what i know, you still gotta buy live just to connect to those services.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I'm with whiteodian, I really like the Kinect and can't wait to see what the new version does. It's dumb but I use my xbox to watch the ESPN app more then anything else and really hope the new version lets me turn my xbox on and off just by talking to it.
Unlike thefiend1 I'm a scifi nerd and want to be able to talk to my electronics just like in Star Trek. Computer, read me the subject lines of all my unread emails. Computer, wake me up in an hour. Computer play Beethoven Symphony Number 5. The possibilities are endless!

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
It was only a matter of time when he was getting the pink-slip. I wonder though, on his job application, did he check off "yes" when asked if the company can contact his previous employer....

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Kinect is a good thing! The first gen Kinect no doubt has it's limitations and flaws...but it really advance the gaming stage... Kinect 2.0 will really be where the potentials will be realized. This thing needs to be integrated into the system. History has shown that most console add on fails...(except for Kinect maybe, which makes history as fastest and best selling console add on)...with Kinect 2.0 in every Xbox One, there will be no holdback limitation from the developers. MS made the right choice.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

ok, lets look at this...

but it really advance the gaming stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArpWuV_zvo
its an angry joe video, but it shows what the kinect is really like
the only thing the kinect was good for was exaggerated movements, like lets dance,
any game that was core, scored horribly if it only used kinect, and if had kinect it was a tacked on feature.
what part of kinect made anyone thing "oh, this will be great for gaming"

i mean either i'm being trolled by people who are doing a good job here, or i should be depressed for the next next generation of gaming.

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

Me too, but the thing is a $15 headseat (which I already have) would let me yell "Fus Ro Dah" instead of using the button. Besides, even if I did want Kinect (which I don't, devs just use it like a headset mic you don't have to wear in real games. see ME3, Skyrim, etc), I still want the option to pick it up at a later date once my personal "killer app" comes out with Kinect support. Making me buy, and God forbid, forcing me to attach something I don't want for an extra $100 is the reason I'll be getting a PS4 long before an Xbox One [strike]Eighty[/strike].

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Precisely! Sony also had the same DRM policy just like the one that MS started with, but changed it just before the show. While a good marketing move and all, I don't think that it is a good idea. Without the ps4 eye, the motion thing on the controler is useless, and developers can't use it without limiting the potentian costumer a LOT. Also, I liked the DRM policy that MS showed off, it is really easy to handle (like Steam for the console), and it is the way that technology is heading. The "fantastic" no DRM policy is old, limiting, and I dont like discs!

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

You can not like discs all you want, but it's still faster than a four hour download of 10+ gigs of crap over normal home broadband. I have 12/1.5 Mbps cable and games on Steam are still mostly next-day playable unless I start them and go to work.

It wasn't like Steam for console, and furthermore:

In what way? The digital/cloud MS policy was much more limiting. In fact, they spent most of E3 explaining what you couldn't do with it. It did nothing worthwhile for you that you couldn't do with discs. Lets not forget that you can still by games digitally through the Xbox marketplace. If I didn't have a copy of Halo 4 I could get one through the 'net without having to go anywhere. Right now, on the 360. MS wasn't giving us anything we don't already have, but they were going to prohibit several things that were very useful to at least some of us.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

At best this is an unconfirmed rumor, most likely, M$'s marketing's FUD.

Also, I liked the DRM policy that MS showed off, it is really easy to handle (like Steam for the console), and it is the way that technology is heading.
Go educate yourself on:
1) Steam's offline mode
2) Publisher's choice on Steam not to have ANY KIND OF DRM WHATSOEVER (e.g. Torchlight 2)
3) Steam's prices vs M$ prices on digital games
4) Steam being merely ONE OF MANY options to buy a game for a PC

The "fantastic" no DRM policy is old, limiting, and I dont like discs!
Even current gen consoles support that, difference is, YOU HAVE A CHOICE. You can buy Uncharted 3 on disk which you can re-sell or share, or you can get it digitally (and de facto still share at least once).

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

1 ) Yes, you have to download to play, but only once. After that, you can play the game without handling a disc.
2) How is it not like Steam (with extra features)? You buy online and download (what Steam is build around). And as a bonus, I could give the whole family acces to my games and have them ALL with me in form of a password in my head instead of a big bag (but that's gone now)
3) All they talked about at E3 was the possibilitys that the DRM system offered that the old DRM did not (yes, the old way is DRM too).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
People were prepared to pay Xbox Live membership over and above what Playstation users were paying and still had tens of millions of loyal customers - the price difference will never be an issue when people get a Kinect 2 bundled

Status
Not open for further replies.