Xbox One Game Discs Only to be Used for Initial Installation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Think about desktop PCs in relation to laptops/tablets ad you might see why a larger boxy piece of hardware just *might* be a better choice for price/functionality when moving around isn't a requirement.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
If this is true, Sony must act properly and profit from the stupidity of those microsoft idiots. In this way, we (the consumers) will also be happy.

Seriously, though... How many "standard" formats does any given device need to support? I wonder if they'll release players or update the OS to accommodate new "standards"? Seems feasible?

I don't think that would be the deal-breaker by any means. A deal-breaker will be if they have all of the hardware failures they encountered within the first year of the XBOX 360 release with a five-week turnaround on your warranty claim.

I will absolutely hate any of these "next-gen" units if they don't run silently while I'm doing something as simple as watching a blu-ray (just like my current blu-ray player!). The original 360s had fans that ran overtime but were nothing compared to the PS3's which sounded like hair-dryers when they first came out. In this day and age, you'd expect things that run in your entertainment center to make little to no noise. Hopefully, these console producer consider this.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I knew Micro$oft was going to do something like this... They couldn't resist it with their new console... The opportunity to take money out of the pocket of someone else's market (in this case the used gaming market). This is what they do.
Honestly, it would be better if they had a disk validation check at the beginning of the gameplay even, sort-of like some PC games do. The whole game installs to the HDD/SDD but the DRM checks the CD/DVD to make sure it's there before it will play. We've all had 'nocd' exe's on our PCs in the past. Can't do that on a console but the same theory would apply. At least then they'd get the performance benefits of the all on console without the bullcrap of no used games or having to give M$ a share of the used sale...
But ohh no, "We're M$... We'll do this other real radical thing and make it really annoying for our users... and make more $ in the process... But it'll just be something small so you'll never notice the knife in your back, we promise..."

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
@brickman
what would the government do?
u don't own a game (thus the reason u can just make copies and sell them), u own the ability to play the game

This is true. None of us own games any longer (it's all in the fine print of the user agreement either in the manual or the one you check the box on when you install a game). We license the right to play them.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I dont get all the hate against MSFT
the developers are the ones that pushed for this
they dont like companies like Gamestop mooching off their product

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
MS said Clearly that as long as the other players are playing on the system where the License owner's Account resides they will be able to play the game.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I HATE the message that this sends: don't share.
The whole point of gaming is to bring people together to have fun and SHARE their experiences. The fact that I can't loan friends a game without them having to pony up to MS is completely crap, in my opinion.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

No, this time it is... When my 18TB library is all HD Encrypted versions of my private DVD/BR (no, no pirated content allowed in my library...) collection in MKV format because it's the best version to use for every other device out there and M$ refuses to use it... That's a deal breaker. Heck my phone even uses it for goodness sake.

If they only supported four formats for video, I would think it would be .avi .mp4 .mkv .wmv. But the problem is for now, .mkv is the only container really supportive for full HD (blu ray) H.264 video with full chapter, subtitles, etc. .mp4 is close but... actually you can take an .mkv file and rename it .mp4 and it will play but you lose some of the functionality.

The simple fact that M$ has put their hoof down on the wonderfully powerful .mkv container is really annoying, especially when my whole house is loaded with HTPCs and I have to use two programs to feed the media instead of just using media player which would be nice.

For that matter, they should also support FLAC lossless audio as my entire CD collection is also on the same library that way. So audio gets played with Winamp, Video with MPC-HC, and TV with Media Player on each HTPC. Once it's all configured the user can't tell the difference but it would be nice if they never left the media player interface... or could use the xbox. But as it sits, I'm not getting an Xbox One or PS4... Same reason I didn't use my 360 or PS3 for the last many years...

So is it a deal breaker for someone like you who probably buys it to play games (although I wouldn't bother playing games on a console.. I just can't stand the sticks honestly... Although I do have a medical issue there also... another story...). Probably not. But for someone like me who would be buying it strictly as a media box for my already existing library, absolutely it would be a giant deal breaker. Enormously huge, tremendously #1...

It would be like an enormously heavy set man looking for a sports car. Well, can't buy a Ferrari simply because he can't fit in the door.

I was already bothered by the fact they didn't say how many tuners the TV tuner had (3,4,5,etc... Does it use a 3rd party like the Ceton USB 4-port unit, etc.) does it use local or remote storage for DVR, can it off-load DVR to remote viewing (something HTPCs have issues with in Microsoft ATM). I was actually really excited about it for awhile. But then they didn't get into anything but garbage in the live broadcast... 'Ohh, look at my hand gestures'... Or, could I even change saying "Xbox" to "Computer" (Comon, Star Trek wins over Micro$oft Every single time... plus to me it just makes more sense really.)

There is still time though, maybe they will add these features as well as some container support. But if not, that's at least one sale gone.

But as for your question, how many should they support, Honestly, if they want to make it intended as a media control center, then ALL OF THEM, to be honest. But as a minimum, all of the most common. FLAC, .MKV, .OOG, etc. to name a few. If that's their intention, do it.

redfoot12

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
<<I dont get all the hate against MSFT
the developers are the ones that pushed for this
they dont like companies like Gamestop mooching off their product >>
Even so, the PS4 isn't going to have any of these restrictive features. The message is that Sony is catering to their customers and Microsoft is catering to a business model. Which do you think will translate to more overall console sales and, thus, more software sales?

jee_are

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
With all these measures to hinder/stop people from borrowing, renting or buying used games, the Xbox One may become the most pirated console yet.

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Let's say the fee will be 10 euros to be able to use the purchased game on another account. If the game costs 60 euros in addition to the 10 euros; 70 euros, you can collaborate with your friend to buy games that both he and you will play and split the purchase in half so paying 35 euros each. This will be great for multiplayer games since both you and your friend are playing together but only paid 35 euros instead of the full price unless MS decides you cannot play multiplayer but only singleplayer even with paying the fee.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

And that can be a very true statement.

They (corporations) just can't seem to realize, that the reason people do pirate is that they are cut off from cheaper options of purchase. Joe can't afford the latest game for $60-80 (imho, rape prices anyhow too...). He very impatiently waits for it to go to the used bin at his local game store for $40-60 (still too high but, cheaper)... Now not an option he turns to his local hacker for free! Well heck, doing it for one why not every game out there...

And that's how it starts... Sure they'll have some sort of monitoring and /or you'll have to do some sort of console hack just as with the last one but they pretty much tend to be ridiculously simple in the end... Kids especially are smart today. And dangle these games in their faces and they'll then be 'stupid' enough to do it and there ya go. Piracy in motion.

If they just made games affordable and trade-able out of the gate, none of this would even be on the discussion right now... Make them < $40 new and make the disk transferable... Some way to allow friends to trade games for a weekend to try them, etc.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@jee_are:
If MSFT had some "swap game with friend" feature by which each user could put a game into a kind of online escrow and then temporarily swap game rights with another user that put their own game into escrow, that wouldn't be so bad. But somehow I doubt MSFT is going to build something like this.
The stupidest part about it is that if they allowed for temporary swaps or even feature-limited swaps, it would be one of the best marketing tools they could possibly hope for. One of their own customers would be marketing their product to another of their own customers, with a future sale being likely. Instead, they're dropping a hammer on that revenue stream to protect against piracy.

Not the greatest assumption ... I don't play console games. There is nothing on a console that can touch my 680 SLI setup.

I'm not so sure there are many people out there with a such a sizable collection of backed-up DVD files like you have. MKV is not a file format I've ever used, but I'm sure, if there's really some sort of demand, MS'll give us a codec or player to download and we're good to go, no?

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
dumb move sony, i own both ps3 and x360 so i could play all the exclusives, but this time around I will only own ps4.
I always sell the games after I play them for 4 hours. I only keep the classics.
I would have bought both consoles and bought equal number of games on each if it was not for this stupid decision

dietrich1

Honorable
May 16, 2013
yeah and they wonder why so many slump to piracy. maybe because the teams cracking the games produce a better product than the original. no drm please. we're not idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.