Xbox One Won't Be Always Online, But Internet Preferred

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I think M$ will find a way around it. They had a panel discussion after the main event and one guy talked about how the console is designed to offload certain functions to the cloud (I.E. physics and other computations) at the developers request. Hmmmmm where have we heard that before? Sounds like EA is ready to drop a sim city port :p
"yeah ummm, CoD needs to be always online to cloud compute the advanced hyper-space AI of your companion dog. Its some next level stuff."
M$ will have to figure something out considering the games are to be fully installed to your HD. You could rent a game, somehow apply a no-cd crack (Shouts outs to Raz0r) and then the system is cracked open.
I wish the big 3 all the best as this means better pc ports :)
Not taking sides but Sony's stock price jumped $1.50 following the xbox one's (should have been xbox won, much cooler on so many levels) unveiling. Props to M$ for at least showing the console. I'm waiting for some wizard of oz stuff at E3 where a neck beard accidentally trips over a curtain and behind Sony's flat screen tvs is a slew of PCs.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I don't know anyone who is excited about the kinect recognizing you or the mandatory Kinect. Sure its great that you always don't have to be online.
It is kind of funny to see the relationship between the desktop pc and the console go full circle. Where the desktop pc used to be very versatile and the console was very specialized towards gaming. Now the desktop pc seems very specialized and the console is trying to be versatile.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
So far the 'online features' are self explanatory... If I want the game to update itself, or play a multiplayer game I have to be online....
If i want to start watching tv on one console and resume on another I have to be online...
All of the conditions above are blatantly obvious to require an online connection..
How is this any different than the 360 or PS3 right now? I don't get the hatred being thrown around.

melvar

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I'm guessing that even if it won't lock you out of your games when the connection isn't there, you will need to be online to activate a new game before it will let you play it.
It seems like the days of being able to buy a game and play it without getting further permission are over.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I don't get the name. Infinity sounds much better and surely this is the 3rd XBox? That's just plain confusing. Have they given any thought on what they are going to call the next Xbox - Xbox Two, or something completely different?

John Pombrio

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Imagine trying to play a PC game these days without a internet connection? You would have to go back to CD-ROMs being mailed to you for updates! Or better yet, floppies! Remember the bad old days of waiting for an update to arrive in the mail?
No, any piece of recent technology almost demands a internet presence. Personally, I would move if my place did not have good internet and I have been here 25 years! I can understand if you were a farmer or lived and worked in a small town but a relative just built a huge expensive house just far enough down a dirt road to make it cost prohibitive for cable or internet service. WTF?

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

Updates are one thing, but just to play the game is another. I live just on the outskirts of Silicon Valley and I don't have internet. I have to tether to my phone. And just up an moving for internet so I can play my games is just plain stupid. All I want is for me to be able to buy a game, and then play it. Done. By requiring the internet you just gave me one more step in the process of playing my game, and a difficult one for me and probably a good amount of people.

dietrich1

Honorable
May 16, 2013
holy crap so many cry babies here. if you can't afford 30 bucks a month for internet, get a job. you gotta be kidding me. 2013 and people don't have internet? that's like not having running water. fricking idiots. same idiots who derrr go on tom's hardware WEBSITE and complain about NOT HAVING INTERNET?!? are you guys seriously this retarded? (no offense to actual retards.) if you want a completely off-line experience, make your own damn entertainment console. it's not that difficult. if microsoft skipped all these features, you know how many of the same morons as yourself would complain that they're not included?!? "WHERE BE MY STREAMING CAPUBILITY/??!11" they offer it to you and you're like, "WHERE BE MY GAMES I DON'T NEED STREAM!111 WHAT DIS CLOUD 4?!?" you guys need education fast.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I don't know anyone who is excited about the kinect recognizing you or the mandatory Kinect. Sure its great that you always don't have to be online.
It is kind of funny to see the relationship between the desktop pc and the console go full circle. Where the desktop pc used to be very versatile and the console was very specialized towards gaming. Now the desktop pc seems very specialized and the console is trying to be versatile.

G

If you want next gen games then dont buy a crapbox or PS4. They are just hype for the kiddies. PC is where its at period. BF4 on a 2560 x 1600 display with a 512GB SSD, 16GB ram, 2 x GTX 780s. Yeh that would be me.

"If you want next gen games then dont buy a crapbox or PS4. They are just hype for the kiddies. PC is where its at period. BF4 on a 2560 x 1600 display with a 512GB SSD, 16GB ram, 2 x GTX 780s. Yeh that would be me." - Yeah that would be you in your dreams, wouldn't it? FYI I also PC game but I also have a PS3 that's portable for gaming at parties and visiting family for side-by-side split/screen fun, as well as for gaming in the hotel room when on business. Can't quite carry my PC around, let alone have everyone else share playing it.

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
@Melvar.. nowhere did anyone say you had to be online to activate a new game It's almost like you people are making this sh!t up..

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
...what I gather from this is simple...if you buy game and want the full experience, then make sure you have an internet connection, but if that is NOT possible, you get the basic. There are thousands of Xboxes at USO and other locations around the world, with limited or no internet connection...somehow, I DOUBT Microsoft would want the bad press of having those facilities NOT be able to get the new Xbox One. Do people really think...no...the internet sucks out the capacity, it would seem.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
"Essentially, with the Xbox One, Microsoft may be distancing itself from its customers who don't necessarily have access to reliable Internet, which is quite troubling. Whatever happened to the days of gaming without having to bother with the Internet at all? "
WTF does this part even mean? This is a ridiculous article. Internet not required, what's so hard to understand. Hey, guess what, this is 2013, and a lot of stuff we do is on the internet, so a lot of the new features of the xbox that are internet focused...require the internet. You can play single player games offline, so what's the big deal? Are you just trying to pander to the crowd with this crap or what?

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I do not see what the big deal is. Is the internet required to play a single player game? If so, I can an issue... If it is required only to activate the game, then PC gamers are all-to-familiar with this. Not to say this will happen, but if MS is planning on locking out the used game market, there should be a $10 drop on the price of new releases to reflect prices in the PC market. Yes, part of the reason for the lower price on PC games is the lack of royalties paid to produce it, but that is more than made up for in volume on console games. I can see new game prices undercutting PS4.
Second, let us keep in mind that most of the features Microsoft showed off were of the media-centric variety. For many of these things, complaining about requiring an internet connection is like complaining that your internet browser doesn't work right without the internet, or that Netflix Instant doesn't work when the internet is out. Downloading TV guide information, showing your fantasy team, those kinds of things require the internet. Everything I have seen so far suggests that for the BEST experience with the Xbox One, you need an always-on internet connection. Ok.
Now, I could be wrong on all of this, but my gut says that, at most, if Microsoft wants to lock out the used market, they will require internet to "activate" your game, which is a pain I am sure in rural areas, but I was a doubter of this whole "Steam powered web game machine", but I honestly cannot imagine being tethered to a disc anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.