Xbox Wireless N Adapter Out Now, Costs $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
$85 will get you enough ethernet cable to go all around your house a few times before hitting up your router. Plus ethernet doesn't go down when some one calls your cordless land line.

gaevs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
There should be a "fanboy" detector in this site.. and about the adapter.. well too expensive, a good router with WDS+AP cost the same, and do a lot more than that x-box adapter..

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Wise shoppers will go to Amazon as Joystiq reports the etailer is selling it for $87.99 right now.

Wise shoppers will say "I don't think so". I think of this and the deal Wal-Mart and Amazon just had where you got the arcade 360 for $100. Then I look at the price for just this thing, and it's the same!!! Things just don't seem to add up right.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nonstoprobot[/nom]Wise shoppers won't buy it at all & put that $88 twords a PS3 with built in wireless & free online gaming IMHO[/citation]

The ps3 has extra features that the 360 doesn't; no doubt about that. But it doesn't even begin to be on par with the 360 in terms of first-party games and quality of online experience IMHO.

Whenever there is an article here on Tom's about the 360, there always has to be some ps3 fanboy saying "well you shoulda bought a ps3". It's like there are thousands of you guys employed by the Sony Marketing Team.

a real GAMING console > blu ray, built in wi-fi, blah blah blah

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]The ps3 has extra features that the 360 doesn't; no doubt about that. But it doesn't even begin to be on par with the 360 in terms of first-party games and quality of online experience IMHO. Whenever there is an article here on Tom's about the 360, there always has to be some ps3 fanboy saying "well you shoulda bought a ps3". It's like there are thousands of you guys employed by the Sony Marketing Team. a real GAMING console > blu ray, built in wi-fi, blah blah blah[/citation]

I own a 360 elite & a PS3. I don't connect my 360 to the network because a) it doesn't have wireless and b) it costs $40/month to do so. Thus why I have my PS3...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nonstoprobot[/nom]I own a 360 elite & a PS3. I don't connect my 360 to the network because a) it doesn't have wireless and b) it costs $40/month to do so. Thus why I have my PS3...[/citation]

sorry bud. you are missing out. however your reasoning for not connecting to your network is rather weak. You should have just got the arcade version version if you aren't going to connect to a network.

the fact that you own both an elite and a ps3 does not make you exempt from "fanboism". I didn't realize it costs $40/month to connect your xbox to your network. what effing country do you live in?

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
40/year* I am not a fan boy because I bought a 360 for the 360 exclusives, but since most games come out cross platform why would I pay for online when it's free in PS3?

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
actually its more like $50/year which turns out to be a little more than $4/month. Soooo you can afford to own both a ps3 and a 360, but you cannot afford $4/month for xbox live?

My problem is that your reasoning just does not add up. You bought a 360 ELITE just for the exclusives? Not to mention none of your numbers have been correct thus far in regards to Xbox live. I hope you didn't actually think it costs $40/month for Xbox Live...

sorry but I'm not buying the non-fanboy nonsense after re-reading your first post.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Why does every 360 article have comments about the PS3 and vice versa?

Who gives a crap what system you think is better. I certainly don't.

I'd like to punch a fanboy in the teeth right now.

Ohh, and this is an enormous rip off. It should be $35 for the N and $20 for the G.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Fanboy or no fanboy - case in hand - $100 bucks for WiFi functionality is just too much.[/citation]

that is something i can definitely agree with.

evan42781

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Why does every 360 article have comments about the PS3 and vice versa?Who gives a crap what system you think is better. I certainly don't.I'd like to punch a fanboy in the teeth right now.Ohh, and this is an enormous rip off. It should be $35 for the N and $20 for the G.[/citation]

I agree. If you can spend all that money on two consoles and not spend .10 cents a day for Xbox Live (where you can get an awesome live gaming experience, stream Netflix movies, and connect to Windows Media Center) then there seems to be an issue.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I really don't see the point in getting this. I have the 54G adapter, its faster than my 16Mbit/s internet connection so getting 'N' really isn't going to do anything for you unless you have some insane connection to the net, or are trying to stream some really crazy 1080p video files.

If the 54g adapter had dropped in price as a result of the 'N' one, I'd highly recommend it as an alternative, its more than capable.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
For $40 or 50$, I would have bought one, even though the price is higher than a regular Wireless-N PC adapter. However, $100 is just too much. I'm gonna go with the crowd and buy another Wireless-N router and set it up as an AP behind my 360 in the living room. The D-Link DIR-615 is on sale on NCIX for $56 right now. It will do the job nicely.

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Anyone with a brain can get an N wireless router and bridge is for $35.00.
Anyone with a partial brain can get the above and have geek squad install it for $50 more and still save $.
Get lost Microsoft.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Sony should just allow the PS3 to share it's wireless through ethernet, that way I wouldnt have to get extra equipment (wireless card, or wireless bridge). AND I wouldnt have to pay microsoft 100 bucks for a friggen wireless adapter. Any word on dropped price for the Wireless G version?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
why waste $100 when you can just buy a 802.11n router for half the price, then install ddwrt then wireless bridge it to your main router, you will not only have 5 ports that can be used for wired connections, you will also allow for wireless users to connect to the 802.11n router

much more useful and half the price and you wont loose a USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.