XCOM Returns to PC, Consoles as FPS in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
"Also slated for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3..."

that's all I needed to read before I didn't care about this. So much for innovation and improving graphics...why are AMD and NVidia even bothering with newer cards? nobody will need them if this keep up. My old pc with a HD4850 could play this game...

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
original.png

MoulaZX

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Makes me sick to my stomach every time I hear about this game. How dare they label this piece of shite "XCOM"... The graphics in that trailer were horrible, not to mention the whole move to FPS and the presumably 1950s era. Its like they held a meeting one day prior to making this crap and went 'well lets see, how can we go in the opposite direction of everything XCOM every stood for?'

n1k0

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
[citation][nom]sptyler[/nom]I feel your pain brother. All we can do is keep supporting pc exclusive titles.[/citation]

the best way to "send a message" is actually to make sure to buy PC versions of non-exclusive games so sales are better on PC than consoles.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've only ever played the original (and still play a game once a year or so). Making an FPS means that it won't really be anything like the original, but whatever, its not like they're making turn based strategy games anymore (Heroes of Might and Magic 6 not withstanding).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]n1k0[/nom]the best way to "send a message" is actually to make sure to buy PC versions of non-exclusive games so sales are better on PC than consoles.[/citation]
But then you're just telling them that you're OK with crappy console ports. Now if the game is a PC game ported to consoles, then by all means purchase away.

now THAT looks awful... and yeah, the powerful aliens WILL engage in trench warfare, because that's what they do... never mind the weaponry they have.
...stupid...
I believe Unreal 2 looked better.

spoidz

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Why is it so hard to just take the original code and dissect it into a new game engine. Leave it turn-based or add the realtime switch from Apocalypse and hire a follow-on storyline.

I'll bet it would still sell as good or better than the trash I just watched in the trailer.

Yagame

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I've only ever played the original (and still play a game once a year or so). Making an FPS means that it won't really be anything like the original, but whatever, its not like they're making turn based strategy games anymore (Heroes of Might and Magic 6 not withstanding).[/citation]

Not only is that not the best way to send a message, it would be supporting crappy half-assed ports. Didn't they already make an "xcom" fps POS that flopped & pissed people off once?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Is everyone forgetting the old XCOM FPS they made that sucked and totally flopped? The only way this game works as an FPS is if they maintain the same level of RPG style characters, research and strategy that the original had.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
This is truly horrible. the graphics suck and its a FPS for Christ's sake! Just remake the original using better graphics. I can guarantee you would have higher sales doing that than making a completely new POS game.

mefanch

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
So, they took one of the most beloved and unique, tactical and strategy games combining "city (base) building" and rpg elements of leveling up your different troops, and dumbed it down into a alien FPS like every other alien fps out there except with bad graphics.

Awesome... can't wait.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I've been playing the old X-COM this week! (gold version on XP with the speed bugfix patch, mind you ...) :D

They'll not get a penny from me for this garbage!! (well, actually I never paid for the old X-COM Gold either, as it came bundled with a PCG disk. The best things always come with the least hassle ...)

belltollsforthee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
But then you're just telling them that you're OK with crappy console ports. Now if the game is a PC game ported to consoles, then by all means purchase away
No, not in the slightest. Once major devs see that there is an audience in PC and not everyone is torrenting then they will give more attention to the PC games instead of crappy ports.
How else do you think consoles stole our priority? By putting up with ports and gaining support til they drove out PC.

Buy multiplatforms on PC and buy PC exclusives. Buy PC!

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
terrible news... X-COM one of the greatest games I ever played. Will be awful...

This is what PC piracy is doing. When you see 1000s downloading games for free a couple of days after they have been released no wonder developers just focus on c5ap for consoles these days. Off topic but I was shocked last time I look at what was going on in the world of bit torrent.

P.S. I always buy my games off Steam, definitely the way forward.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]But then you're just telling them that you're OK with crappy console ports. Now if the game is a PC game ported to consoles, then by all means purchase away.[/citation]
But that would only lead to console exclusive games, where the PC wouldn't be an available option for large game developers & publishers to try and sell on.
When you buy a game and don't like it, express it. More than likely there's others just like you. It may not seem like it, but game developers (Sometimes publishers) actually take criticism. Hell, look at THQ and one game they supported, Homefront. Homefront was one of their largest preorded games, but was terrible on the PC and THQ took notice of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.