Xeon vs Athalon

G

HI, has any onre seen a comparasin between the p3Xeon and the Athalon.I have been trying to find out if the $2000 dollar differance is worth any speed increase that there may be.I thiink that once the 760mp comes out it could realy hurt Xeon sales.
Anim88tor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have seen comparisons between the Xeon and PIII, and between the PIII and Athlon. The Xeon performs slighty better than the PIII when it has more chache. I suppose that certain applications are more cache-intensinve than others, but for a PC the Xeon is definately a poor buy.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Well
You cant really compare an Xeon with either a PIII nor a Athlon, you could compare a Xeon with a Sun or an alpha,
These are different prossesor types designed for different jobs, if you put a Sun ulta 450 up against a p3 600 in a 3D-benchmark something (if you could ) i dont think there would be anny differense even thou the SUN prossesor costs 10x the intel PIII, but if you put a Sun up against a PIII in a hardcore server benchmark, the Piii would run so hot and prolly burn to dust where the sun is only starting up.
And THATS why the Sun and Xeon cots what they cost, different uses, different markets! (=

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I agree. But some people like to use their PC's as workstations. For certain professional apps the Xeon will perform much better than the PIII, but for most PC apps it will not make much of a difference. The Xeon might be a server chip but it makes a powerfull workstation as well.

G

but if you put a Sun up against a PIII in a hardcore server benchmark, the Piii would run so hot and prolly burn to dust where the sun is only starting up.
the "PIII would run so hot" ???

What are you talking about? Wouldn't this just be a poorly designed case/chasis issue? I run Seti which pushes the CPU to 100% all the time - are you saying that server instructions are "more difficult" than 100% usage on Seti so the CPU would run "hotter"? Or didn't you mean that in a literal way?

Now specifically, which programs/operations take advantage of a Xeon and why? (bigger cache, different slot design, instructions (?)

MySQL? Other databases? Apahce for just serving pages?
Which 3D Apps?

Likewise for the Sun (which is probably a much more complicated question because it asks which operations really work better with a totally different architecture)

(don't mean to offend - I'm just really curious about when to start considering differnt processors than a PIII/Athlon... for a dedicated server for example)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bnn on 01/27/01 10:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mpjesse

Splendid
It's like comparing apples and oranges really. For server applications the Xeon is the clear choice since in can be run in multiple processors. But, as of late Intel has sort of forgotten about the Xeon since the release of the Itanium is only a month or so away.

-MP Jesse

G

For server applications the Xeon is the clear choice since in can be run in multiple processors

A little off topic, but will the Athlon be limited to two processors, or might we have a quad AMD system soon?

I don't know much about Itanium. Will it support Dual (or even 4x) configurations?

mpjesse

Splendid
You can run more than Dual Xeon's- it just depends on the chipset and board. I've seen 10 way Xeon's before. Currently- I think the AMD 760MP chipset is limited to two.

I sure hope that Itanium supports quad configurations.

-MP Jesse

G

Yes, the fact that you can run more than dual Xeons is probably where the major line is drawn in server performance, since all PII's and PIII's can be run as duals and provide a good percentage of the performance of the Xeons for a fraction of the cost.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your talking to the wrong person. I did not even mention the Suns, or burning proccessors, or any of that. I was simply agreeing with Kipet on different processors for different jobs. Since I deal only in small network servers, workstations, and PC's, I am not the one to gripe to. For small network servers, I can't justify the added expense of the Xeon. I don't even know what kind of server you plan to run-but for anything I personally do the expense is not justified.

G

I am currently using a system that has Mips R10000's, R5000's, R4400's(Irix)and p2Xeon and P3Xeons (W2000)all running the same software. I have them running at 100% for days with no heat Issues for any of them.There also seems to be an idea that the processors do different things. Weather you are running Netscape Photoshop or Seti they all do the same thing crunch numbers. The only things that change are the manner in which it is done, 32bit, 64bit, 3Dnow, Altavec etc. and how much is done. The Xeon was developed to compeate with the 64bit chips from Sun,Mips,Hp,DEC,IBM. The Cach and clock speed of the Xeon was supposed to offset the lack of the ability to address 64bit memory which runes into many Gigs.Put simply 32+32 aproximates 64. It can keep the data in the cach(fast) instead of sending it to Ram(slow). Since the 760MP is going to solve the parrellel issue It seems that the speed issue comes to the fore. That was my reason for posting the Question in the first place.

Anim88tor