[SOLVED] XF270HU and X58 BIOS

Jul 1, 2019
Hey,

I just got an Acer XF270HU monitor, I use it with 2 systems, one old and one new. It's great with the new one but has a slight hiccup with the old X58 machine. Problem is as follows:

When booting, I do not get a display until the system gets to windows I just get "input not supported"... this is a pain in the neck if I need to get into the legacy BIOS, I'd probably have to connect another display unless I can fix this.

So, current config is EVGA X58 motherboard > EVGA GTX 780 > DVI-D to HDMI cable > XF270HU > "Input not supported"......... Windows.

Any ideas to get this working?

Thanks Guys.

Solution
For the purposes of troubleshooting, try connecting to only the monitor in question - and try various display standards. If it's anything like the 770 I had was, HDMI should work.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure why, but I've seen systems of that era not display until Windows. I had a 770 that would display the BIOS (on a 1440p panel) ONLY via HDMI.

Any particular reason you're using an adapter in that chain? Your 780 should have DisplayPort and HDMi.... and the monitor should have DP, HDMI (1.4), HDMI (2.0) and DVI. Even if you've connected multiple systems, I don't see why an adapter would be necessary.

Jul 1, 2019
Hey, thanks for the reply. It's because I'm using triple monitors, so I need to have DVI plugged in. My options are DP, HDMI, DVI-D, and DVI-I on the 780. I'm using the best 3. Then the graphics card defaults to the DVI-D before Windows boots since most graphics card use the oldest video output before Windows. I know it's getting something because the other 2 just say no input but the one that's supposed to be displaying the BIOS says input not supported... :/

Jul 1, 2019
Thanks, I will try that later when I'm home. The only issue then is, every time I want to access the BIOS I have get under my desk to fiddle around the back of the computer and disconnect the DVI cable, otherwise the graphics card is just going to default to it as the output. At least I think that is what will happen.

Jul 1, 2019
Well.... unplugging DVI to get into BIOS works and it just defaults to HDMI next in line. Not particularly happy with the solution but I accept it's just a quirk of dealing with older hardware. I already have to use a different keyboard with that machine in BIOS because my main one won't respond before Windows, so I can add this to this list of annoying issues that I just have to live with. Regardless, thanks for the tip, I'll be using this as the solution in instances where I need to get into the BIOS on this machine. Thanks again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just something to try, with all monitor's turned off via the button, turn on the monitor in question a few seconds after turning on PC.

I don't have multiple monitors so it's probably different. The xb270hu monitor i have using only DP, i need to turn on monitor slightly after PC. Not doing so will sometimes not give a display during post.