[SOLVED] XFX 580 behaving strange, also melted a pcie adapter

Feb 16, 2021
Hi everyone, So i have about 8 cards mining right now, most being 580s, and 3 being the same model XFX 580. One of them started causing my mining rig to crash and it would usually go for a couple hours after a restart. I went to go look at the card to see what was going on and i found my system to be frozen on screen (running nicehash os at the time) and all the cards fans were off except for this XFX 580, so i immidiently knew this one was the problem. About a month before this happened this exact card melted a molex to 2x sata adapter which was connected to a 2x sata to pcie 8 pin connector. The wires were completely fried but the sata to pcie adapter was fine. I later discovered these molex adapters sucked and couldn't handle more than 5a with a current test i did to another one. So I rearranged my cables and ran this card on the same 2x sata to pcie 8 pin that was fine. Back to a couple days ago I looked and this adapter had charred the wires at the connector and when i unplugged it and removed the card it had completely melted the plastic around 1 of the 12v pins on this adapter. The other pins didn't melt but the wires were about to. I plugged this card into my main pc to test it and flashed it back to stock and started mining on it with a new pcie adapter. However I did notice that the card was showing up as a AMD Radeon polaris 10 in amdvbflashwin and not a RX 580. I also discovered that it isn't outputting video over hdmi. It's been going fine for a few days and it's been undervolted using about 90w while it was in my pc and in my rig, so i don't know how it melted one of those adapters as i had a card pull 160w on one and it was fine. Just today my pc started suddenly going to a blank screen and becoming unresponsive so I left my pc to only mine on my main rx 580 i use for gaming and not the xfx one and it stopped crashing my pc. I think this card might be a goner but I'd like to keep it going. I just tried to reflash it back to stock even though it still has a stock bios on it and it broke my amd driver so I'm reinstalling it now. Any help is appreciated thanks!

Solution
Wow ok I fixed it not outputting video and showing up as a weird name in my bios flasher by flashing the stock bios for a 3rd time then disabling it and reenabling it in device manager. Taking the card out and putting it back before did nothing and all the other stuff i tried. I'm going to let it run and see if it goes without shutting off.

DSzymborski

Titan
What is the exact PSU involved?

In any case, any PCIE adapter is asking for trouble and you seem to have done some pretty extensive jury-rigging. If anything, it's surprising that Molex to SATA to PCIE adapters aren't ending up with even worse results.

Feb 16, 2021
What is the exact PSU involved?

In any case, any PCIE adapter is asking for trouble and you seem to have done some pretty extensive jury-rigging. If anything, it's surprising that Molex to SATA to PCIE adapters aren't ending up with even worse results.
It's a used EVGA 600w, I just replaced my antec 650w that was 7 years old because it would randomly shut off my pc regardless if it was under load or not. I don't believe this is a psu issue but i have another EVGA 600w that's brand new in box. This card was having problems in my mining rig which had different psus than this.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's a used EVGA 600w, I just replaced my antec 650w that was 7 years old because it would randomly shut off my pc regardless if it was under load or not. I don't believe this is a psu issue but i have another EVGA 600w that's brand new in box. This card was having problems in my mining rig which had different psus than this.

Wait, you're running 8 GPUs off one of EVGA's entry-level PSUs? That was always going to end badly; I wouldn't have even recommended a normal PC running a single 580 on this, unless it's a BQ, which is merely mediocre.

There's a lot to unwrap here. My advice to you would be to sort out your power delivery situation and re-evaluate (though the one 580 may already be damaged beyond repair). Hopefully, your other rigs are more adequately powered than this one! Best of luck to you.

Feb 16, 2021
Wait, you're running 8 GPUs off one of EVGA's entry-level PSUs? That was always going to end badly; I wouldn't have even recommended a normal PC running a single 580 on this, unless it's a BQ, which is merely mediocre.

There's a lot to unwrap here. My advice to you would be to sort out your power delivery situation and re-evaluate (though the one 580 may already be damaged beyond repair). Hopefully, your other rigs are more adequately powered than this one! Best of luck to you.
Nooooo the psu in my main pc is a evga 600w. My mining rig has 2 700w psus.

Feb 16, 2021
Wow ok I fixed it not outputting video and showing up as a weird name in my bios flasher by flashing the stock bios for a 3rd time then disabling it and reenabling it in device manager. Taking the card out and putting it back before did nothing and all the other stuff i tried. I'm going to let it run and see if it goes without shutting off.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS