Jul 20, 2007
I recently set up a system with the following components:

XFX 680i LT SLI
XFX 8600GT
OCZ PC6400 4-4-4-15
Intel Q6600
Ultra X-Finity 600W
Lite-on DVD-RW lightscribe

When I first assembled it, it fired up and posted no problems. Then I shut it down (it was late) to finish in the morning. Next morning the lights (MB LED's) lit up, and all the fans started, but no video. After trying to figure it out for a few hours I took the MB, RAM, PSU, and GPU to a computer shop. They verified the problem, no video. they tried different RAM, no effect. Then they installed a 7300 nVidia graphics card, and it worked normal. Then they installed the 8600GT card, and everything worked like it was supposed to.

I took the machine home, put everything back together, and loaded windows and updated everything (drivers included). I stopped there, (late night again) and had to work the next day. After work I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't start again. All the LED's light up, all the fans start (including the GPU) but no video. This time I had a friend bring a video card over, and try it. The only thing that happens (other than the LED's) is the monitor wakes up, to say "no signal", and then goes to sleep mode.

Sorry for the long winded description, but I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions to try before I send the MB and GPU back. Thanks in advance for any input.

Knotaddicted

xjustice09x

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I had a similar problem with my xfx 650i ultra board last week. I think something was causing a short inside my case. All I did was move the tower before i had any problems. My video card was still good I tried it in another system. My memory and cpu were also fine. I just couldn't get any signal to the monitor. All the fans would spin up and the lights would turn on.

I removed everything from my case and was ready to RMA the board with xfx when I decided to try putting it together one more time. Everything fired up like normal.

Check all the cables from the power supply to the board. Try to see if everything will run outside of the case. Hopefully you can get it all up and running again.

knotaddicted

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I also tried out of the case, but to no avail. I checked (visually) all the mounting points, and most of the traces, but did not see any problems. I also checked PSU voltages (with a Fluke DVMM) and all were within spec.

Unfortunately I do not have another MB to try the video card in a different system. Looks like a call to XFX for return is in my future.

Knotaddicted