Question XFX AMD Radeon 5700 XT not recognized by BIOS. Does not boot/No signal to monitor. However, computer does boot with a different GPU.

May 31, 2022
Problem: I'm building a pc and I'm having issues with booting with the 5700 xt. Card isn't recognized by bios, but a different card is.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI B550-a-pro
BIOS: 7C56vA9 link -> https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550-A-PRO/support
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 5700 xt
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
PSU: EVGA 850P2

I cannot get computer to boot with the above card. EZ debug light is solid white above VGA indicator, meaning card isn't recognized. There is no signal to monitor. I do not have integrated graphics, hdmi cable is connected to GPU. The GPU's fans and lights power on, all power connectors are connected. Card is fully seated, etc. I've tried setting PCI to Gen 3 in BIOS but still no boot with the 5700 xt and updating to most recent bios.

I had an extra card lying around, so I tried booting with an RX 580, and everything works perfectly, so I know the problem is not the pci slot. Does this mean the card is bricked? I am unable to test with a different motherboard. I would rather use 5700 xt as it is more powerful card. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022
test this card on another pc?
brand and model of the psu?
Hi, I've updated the specs to include the PSU, it's an EVGA 850W platinum, so plenty of power for this card, using two vga cables from PSU to connect, so card is getting all the power it needs.

I do not have access to another pc, unfortunately. I could call a repair shop, but do not want to pay if I can avoid it.

Well, for this line of cards, there was a bit of a power delivery issue.
This may or may not solve your issue.
When connecting the card to power are you using two seperate cables or are you using the daisy chain from one power cable.

For about a year after the release of the 5700xt there were issues with not using two separate pcie cables to power the card. Many people were experiencing 0 boot. Despite having two 8pin connectors there simply was enough stable power going to the card.

Just so things go easily for you, I hope this is the issue.

May 31, 2022
Well, for this line of cards, there was a bit of a power delivery issue.
This may or may not solve your issue.
When connecting the card to power are you using two seperate cables or are you using the daisy chain from one power cable.

For about a year after the release of the 5700xt there were issues with not using two separate pcie cables to power the card. Many people were experiencing 0 boot. Despite having two 8pin connectors there simply was enough stable power going to the card.

Just so things go easily for you, I hope this is the issue.

Hi, I am most definitely using two vga cables, sourced independently from psu to power the card. I am not daisy chaining anything at all.

Jun 1, 2022
I am literally having the EXACT same problem. All external sources light up, fans running, rgb lights on, Ethernet, usbs, everything. But VGA and Boot lights remain on and no signal to the monitor. I have tried everything. Cleaning, reseating, hdmis, dp cables, cmos battery, switching rams around, wiggling the card, nothing. Brand new motherboard rog strix b550-a. This card has been a nightmare for me.

May 31, 2022
I am literally having the EXACT same problem. All external sources light up, fans running, rgb lights on, Ethernet, usbs, everything. But VGA and Boot lights remain on and no signal to the monitor. I have tried everything. Cleaning, reseating, hdmis, dp cables, cmos battery, switching rams around, wiggling the card, nothing. Brand new motherboard rog strix b550-a. This card has been a nightmare for me.

Yeah, it's extremely frustrating. I'm never buying a used graphics card again. Good luck to you. Let me know if you get it working! I might just bite the bullet and get a new card.

not to be a jerk , but there are two separate cables running from the psu to the graphics card?

Each one of those cables has two 8 or 6 plus 2 or 8 pin pcie connectors or any combination of both.
Are both the pcie connectors on the psu populated with cables that both run independently to the gpu?

I have no idea of how savy you are are. This was a known issue and id hate that this be the fix that I did not explain fully.

May 31, 2022
so it is a used. did you test it before? can't return it?
Yes it is used. I foolishly did not test it before. Guy had bought it off ebay or similar and hadn't tested it yet. Tried texting him and no response. High probability I got scammed, or just general misfortune. Lesson learned.

May 31, 2022
not to be a jerk , but there are two separate cables running from the psu to the graphics card?

Each one of those cables has two 8 or 6 plus 2 or 8 pin pcie connectors or any combination of both.
Are both the pcie connectors on the psu populated with cables that both run independently to the gpu?

I have no idea of how savy you are are. This was a known issue and id hate that this be the fix that I did not explain fully.

That's okay I appreciate the concern. Yes, I have two independent cables running from PSU the GPU. I understand the general concept. You want to be sure the GPU has adequate power, and so two cables are better than one that splits.

From PSU port, cable 1 path: "VGA 1" => 8-pin female connector on 5700 XT
From PSU port, cable 2 path: "VGA 2" => 6-pin female connector on 5700 XT

I believe that's the correct way to do it.

Reactions: spentshells
Okay! So have you updated the motherboards bios to the most recent version?

Another thought is that simply resetting the bios might help, maybe do this first. After resetting the bios do not enable xmp, if it works great, enable xmp, if not update bios

The rx 580 is a pcie 3.0 card and the 5700xt a 4.0 card maybe the bios update could resolve this issue?

MSI software isnt a strong point of the brand a bios update might save the day.

Have you also tried both slots?

Youll want to try the card in another capable system after this point including the steps above.

After resetting the bios

May 31, 2022
Okay! So have you updated the motherboards bios to the most recent version?

Another thought is that simply resetting the bios might help, maybe do this first.

The rx 580 is a pcie 3.0 card and the 5700xt a 4.0 card maybe the bios update could resolve this issue?

MSI software isnt a strong point of the brand a bios update might save the day

Have you also tried both slots?

Youll want to try the card in another capable system after this point including the steps above.

Yep, I flashed bios to most recent non-beta version. Tried changing slot to GEN 3, tried the other PCI slot, with RX 580 in primary and 5700XT in the x8 slot, 5700xt still not recognized-- the bios views the slot the 5700 xt occupies as empty.

The only way I can test it in another pc is to pay a repair shop $60 for a diagnostic, as I don't have easy access to another capable system. Still debating doing this. I'm 95% sure the card is dead and I don't really wanna throw more money away.

If changing the slot to GEN3 didn't work on both old bios and new bios, and if the RX 580 is recognized (it's not a broken slot problem), then I'm pretty sure it's just dead. The 5700 xt card also wasn't recognized when I tested it on a SFF motherboard with a riser, but that's a less reliable test.

TRENDING THREADS