XFX HD Radeon 6950 2gb making buzzing noise

xrtheme

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Hello,

I just had this card for two days and it's giving off a buzzing electrical noise. The noise happens even when I scroll up and down a web page. It gets really loud and annoying in games. I have a corsair hw620 and was using a evga geforce gtx 460 sc prior to this new card. Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me? It's not coming from the tower fans nor the video card fan. It's coming from inside the card itself. The computer is cleaned from dust regularly.

Thanks in advance;)

pcmanick

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
My Powercolour 6970 does the same especially under load and games, it's not fan related and is something to do with components and high frequency vibration. Mine whines and buzzes. If I run ATI tool, the revolving box causes it to buzz an screech like its being tortured. I'm considering returning it. It may be ok to use it like this but the noise is most annoying. Suggest u do the same if u can't live with it.

It is coil squeal and yes it is Very annoying. It can be detrimental to the long term health of the card if the problem goes unaddressed as it can degrade the insulation is the coil. Yes I know they are using solid chokes but as long there is still a coil it can lead to minor shorts that degrade the coil and lead to excess heat but that is a low process and very rarely ever a quick one. You can RMA the card/s or attempt to cool the coil or silence the coil by placing a very small and thin heatsink that wont interfere with the cooler or use silicone around the choke coil (should appear as a little box on the pcb) and that will stop the squealing.

m3kyd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
You guys probably aren't experiencing what I am. I have a Radeon 6970 card, I just finished building my box today, turned it on, and right away started this beeping noise. At first I thought its the case speaker and that I have a really loud one, but after disconnecting the speaker and starting again the same thing. Only after booting up without the card there was no noise.

I am talking about serious noise that doesn't stop. Sounds like a REALLY loud BIOS beep but only a continuous one and it doesn't stop until I turn off.

Maybe has to do with power?? There are 2 connection types on the card to get power from the PSU. I only connected to one of them. Is there any chance in the world the TWO connections need to be hooked up?

Thanks

pcmanick

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

u need both connectors connected to power supply or the card won't function

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
No offense but why would they have 2 connections in the first place if you only needed to use one...just saying.
Also I just bought a powercolor 6970 and I have not experienced any noises other than it having a very beefy fan which I just control using msi afterburner to keep it on the quiet side. I would RMA it as well.

TRENDING THREADS