[SOLVED] XFX RX 580 8Gb - Artifacts only when closing a game and going back to desktop

danielsanchez82

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
So my RX580 (OC from factory) has started to give artifacts sometimes when closing a game and going back to desktop. It has happened 5 times in the last 3 weeks, and all started with God of War =(

The card performs great and gives no problems, even with hours of playing games. I can run a game, play for 5 hours, close it and come back to play again.
The 5 times it gave me artifacts were exactly the same, close the game and going back to desktop, that's all (4x GOD and 1x War Zone).

The card has a sutil undervolt/underclock on the GPU only, and the memory has stock values, for more than a year with no problems until now. (from 1405Mhz/1160 mV to 1366 Mhz/1100mV )
I haven't tested it yet without the underclock, but it has worked great for so long, and those are stock values for the non-OC versions of my card.

Does this mean I have memory problems on my GPU? Is anything I can do to test where the problem may be?
What would be a nice replacement for 1080p gaming? I don't have the money to upgrade yet, but I think I will be force to very soon :_(

Solution
First thing I would do is restore the undervolt. You might have backed it off too far. If it still fails I'd try backing the memory frequency down a bit.

Closing a game and going back to windows stresses basically everything. The cards memory for sure, but also the system ram. And the CPU/storage. And because all of those are being accessed at the same time, the motherboard as well. Look at everything and see if any temps are high or any other possible issue. Memtest for the system ram?

4745454b

Titan
First thing I would do is restore the undervolt. You might have backed it off too far. If it still fails I'd try backing the memory frequency down a bit.

Closing a game and going back to windows stresses basically everything. The cards memory for sure, but also the system ram. And the CPU/storage. And because all of those are being accessed at the same time, the motherboard as well. Look at everything and see if any temps are high or any other possible issue. Memtest for the system ram?

Reactions: danielsanchez82
Solution