Question XFX RX 580 8GB Crashes Windows - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2019
I have owned an AMD XFX Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 since January and have run the card without issue until about a week ago.

I was using AMD's automatic detect and update software to update to the latest drivers and while updating, the computer crashed. From there, the computer was on a never-ending startup loop with no fixes addressing the problem. Only after removing the GPU and completely reinstalling windows did the computer return to normal function.

Having spent the better part of the day on attempting to fix the issue and troubleshooting potentially faulty storage etc I figured the GPU got fried in the faulty update and requested a replacement. I just received a brand new card, and after inserting the GPU the computer crashed approx 5 minutes after I inserted it. From there, the startup loop presented itself again.

To be clear, the computer does not shut off suddenly when I say crash. Instead, the Windows "we encountered a problem" screen comes up and attempts to restart. It is on this restart that I am unable to boot Windows again unless the GPU is removed.

I've updated the BIOS, Motherboard, Windows, and removed all AMD drivers and reinstalled them. I have even attempted to install older drivers from before I attempted the update. With the card itself not being the issue, and having reinstalled all drivers I am aware of, I'm kind of at a loss. I've seen similar issues with the RX 580 and many claiming its a PSU problem. If that is the case, why did my system run without errors for nearly 6 months?

My System is as follows.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BackhandSnipe/saved/mNkr6h

Any advice?

Last edited:
It could be your PSU that gave up on delivering power to the card instead. You're using a 480W PSU, so that sounds a bit tight for the RX 580.

Other than that, you could check if the BIOS for misconfigured and there's anything amiss for the RAM and CPU settings.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Cheers!

Jun 26, 2019
It could be your PSU that gave up on delivering power to the card instead. You're using a 480W PSU, so that sounds a bit tight for the RX 580.

Other than that, you could check if the BIOS for misconfigured and there's anything amiss for the RAM and CPU settings.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Cheers!
I ordered a new PSU that's coming today. EVGA 750 so hopefully this solves the issue.

Jun 26, 2019
Update 6-29-19

I was sent a new identical graphics card, new motherboard, and purchased a new PSU at 750 watts.

I kept getting the same issue even after all this new hardware. Suddenly, I noticed that my 1TB hard drive was not showing up in my settings so I attempted to fix this problem as well. After removing the 1TB HDD from my computer I attempted to boot the PC with my GPU installed and to my surprise, it booted to Windows without crashing.

But that's, not my last hiccup...

My PC now boots into a low res windows, but it disables my GPU saying I do not have AMD drivers installed. When I download them, it asks to restart and upon the restart, it boots past the motherboard boot logo but then remains at a black screen.

I'm at a complete loss and feeling very defeated. How can drivers completely cribble your pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.