Xigmatek Announces Its Xi-3 HDT Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Anyone knows if thermal paste needs to be changed after 3 years?[/citation]

depends on the paste... some paste turns to crap after long useage period.
someone on the steam forum a while ago was haveing reboot problems with his cpu, and it turned out his thermal paste was hard, cracked, and not doing its job at all, once he applied new paste, his system went i believe 15-20c cooler,

if you are haveing a heat problem with your computer and you dont overclock, odds are its a thermal paste issue, or you have a VERY poor cooler, and at least from my experiences, amd give you a pretty damn good cooler on higher end parts, and intel... i think its resomended to get a after market cooler, but i am not sure.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] and intel... i think its resomended to get a after market cooler, but i am not sure.[/citation]

At stock speeds, intel coolers are just fine and newer intel cpu's can even get a mild overclock on them "IF" i recall correctly.

Although, if you want any major overclock, it's recommended to get an aftermarket cooler.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]At stock speeds, intel coolers are just fine and newer intel cpu's can even get a mild overclock on them "IF" i recall correctly. Although, if you want any major overclock, it's recommended to get an aftermarket cooler.[/citation]

ok, os they are good at stock, because i remember a time where both companies gave such poor coolers it was recommended to just toss them and get an after market even at stock.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I'm a huge fan of the TIM pads made by IndogoXtreme and Coolaboratory. You have to heat the hell out of the CPU when 1st installed but the metal pads melt at about 95C and from thereon in provide almost perfect heat transfer from CPU to heatsink. Far better than any pastes I've ever tried, though more expensive of course.
Oh, and intel stock coolers (at least for 1155/56/2011 sockets) really suck.

if this "new" paste was just released, how did you get it back in 2007?

[citation][nom]daswilhelm[/nom]if this "new" paste was just released, how did you get it back in 2007?[/citation]

He's not referring to the paste in the article, He's talking to the person about if he/she need to change thermal compound "in general".

Sometime you have to read outside the box ;)

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, os they are good at stock, because i remember a time where both companies gave such poor coolers it was recommended to just toss them and get an after market even at stock.[/citation]

That was quite a while ago. Starting with the Core 2 Duo and Quad core chipsets with Intel, the boxed coolers were leaps over previous CPU generation stock fans from Intel (don't build AMD, can't speak for them). However, those stock coolers still approach the maximum recommended temps even when running mild overclocks (up to about a 10% boost over stock). For that reason alone and longevity of a build, I'd still recommend at least spending $20-$30 on an aftermarket cooler like the inexpensive but very capably CoolerMaster Hyper series that actually blows ducted hot air out of the case. Your internal case temps will thank you too.

I miss the days when we could buy an OEM CPU and save the money over the full retail box. It's really a waste of manufacturing and my money to have a bunch of stock Intel coolers laying around unused.

I got some Xigmatek paste free in a combo deal with my Noctua NH-D14 purchase a couple years ago (PTI-G4512). Having always used Arctic Silver 5, I decided to try it for a couple of months, then switch to AS and compare. The Xigmatek paste ran a consistent 2C lower (above ambient) at load than the AS5.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]That was quite a while ago. Starting with the Core 2 Duo and Quad core chipsets with Intel, the boxed coolers were leaps over previous CPU generation stock fans from Intel (don't build AMD, can't speak for them). However, those stock coolers still approach the maximum recommended temps even when running mild overclocks (up to about a 10% boost over stock). For that reason alone and longevity of a build, I'd still recommend at least spending $20-$30 on an aftermarket cooler like the inexpensive but very capably CoolerMaster Hyper series that actually blows ducted hot air out of the case. Your internal case temps will thank you too. I miss the days when we could buy an OEM CPU and save the money over the full retail box. It's really a waste of manufacturing and my money to have a bunch of stock Intel coolers laying around unused.[/citation]

with amd, the phenom II and above got very good heat syncs, from what i remember they put lintels at the time to shame, im not cure about current coolers, but i dont see a reason amd would go with lesser coolser than phenom IIs considering they have higher tpd on many chips now.

Cristoman

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hello
I bought this + Dark Night Night hawk - Frostbourne Edition.
Specs. I5 4670K @ 4.2.
Full load - 58~59 ºC.
And Xigmatek says it will last about 8years. (i will be replacing it after 2years just in case).
The best part is that the cooler will make about 16-18 dbl of noise full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.