Xigmatek Tilting Mid-Tower Case Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The concept of tilting a case to improve airflow? Airflow from where exactly?

This is the most cynical attempt at 'Snake Oil' that I've seen in a long while. A totally pointless and ugly gimmick.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonym3525325[/nom]Hard drives MUST NOT be tilted.Chinese crap![/citation]
i had to load the thing up in photoshop to make sure my eyes were being deceived, the harddrive area is tilted too... what moron designed this crap?

i mean unless physics shifts inside that case, doesn't spinning crap... like a hdd, need to be horizontal or vertical otherwise they put stress on the parts inside making them break, or at least not function right?

last thing i need when i rma something is "what kind of case do you use"

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Fist mod I’ll make after I buy one of these in 3 months on clearance from Newegg for $29.99: Craft a 2.5° wedge to shove underneath it.[/citation]
You could just unscrew the original baseplate, just sayin.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]You could just unscrew the original baseplate, just sayin.[/citation]
Yeah, you're probably right. It may be riveted, but it'd be easy enough to drill them out.
I was more thinking it would be a silly sight to have a spray-painted wooden wedge under there. Kind of a: "There! Fixed it!" type of thing.

bucknutty

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Anonym3525325[/nom]Hard drives MUST NOT be tilted.Chinese crap![/citation]
I dont think a 2.5 deg tilt is going to have any noticeable impact in hdd life. Think about laptops. They are operating at all kinds of funny angles. Many laptops even have big batteries, or docks, that will put the whole machine at a 2-3 deg tilt even when it is sitting flat on a table.

That might be a fun test for Toms. Take a few identical hdds and stress test them, one level, one at 2.5 one at 20 and one 45. See if one angle is more likely to fail then the others.

I guess anything other than level or 90deg would put asymmetric force on the main bearing or shaft and could cause it to wear out unevenly.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I also wonder about the idea of never having any level surface and how air moves. For example if your gpu is now on a tilt, your drives on a tilt and the top of the case is on a tilt could this help prevent hot spots?
I guess it is possible that the small lift will allow convection and the fact that heat rises to allow air to flow naturally up along the tilted surfaces and out the vents in the back rather than get stuck in pockets.

Its only 2.5 deg so I dont think the tilt will help much but its a neat concept.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I think some people are mistaking tilt for movement. There should be no appreciable difference between a secured HDD laying flat and one at an angle. So long as the drive isn't shifting about you should be able to have it sit at a 90-degree angle without a problem.

I did have a similar idea for a PC case design. The goal, as they sort of mention, is to better facilitate natural fluid dynamics - cool air falls, warm air rises. Angling the case upwards would, in theory, coalesce the warm air to the back of the case with the exhaust fan to more rapidly expel it from the case. This could easily backfire, however, since that likely also means building up heat around your CPU, volt. reg., and/or northbridge area. It is certainly an interesting idea worth experimenting with.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I assume you could take off the base if you want a flat box but it's a marketing gimmick if you ask me. It doesn't do anything 25cent piece of wood or old book can do by putting it under the back of your old box if you really must.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I still wish they would come out with a metal Super Tower case. Currently using their all black plastic one, it's great for what it does but it suffers a constant beating from my chair given the space I have to work with.

I love the case, but I just wish they would make it out of some type of metal so it doesn't have that "cheap" feel to it, along with the durability that comes with metal.

G

modern hard drives are built with FDB Fluid Dynamic Bearing spindle motors, don't worry about tilt things.

G

Is HP also crap,too? They sold millions of tilt desktop.
www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY/C9D47AV?HP-ENVY-h8-1520t-Desktop-PC

Status
Not open for further replies.