[SOLVED] XMP: 3600 ram safe for ryzen 7 5700g?

Dec 13, 2021
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and hoping you can help me out. I recently build my first desktop pc, aimed to be a powerful machine running Linux for data analysis and coding (not for gaming). I bought many components in sale, and the pc is working like a charm. However, I noticed upon checking that my ram defaults to very low speeds (2133). I read through many posts, and figured I should enable xmp. I am not comfortable with overclocking, and my cooling is not build for it. However, as I understand, while enabling xmp stricly speaking means OC, it is safe to do and does not affect CPU temp right?

However, my question now regards the speeds I am getting. I have a Ryzen 7 5700g that is listed to support RAM speeds up to 3200. I went with Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3600 ram (pricing was the so close to lower speeds I figured why not regarding stability reasons + they look cool). Now, when I enable XMP it booted my pc perfectly and showed me that RAM was running at 3600. However, I started to worry as the CPU lists a max ram speed of 3200 and I want this configuration to last long. I disabled XMP for now, but then if naturally defaults to 2133 again. Ideally, I want to run it at 3200, but xmp shows only 3600. I am not that comfortable doing things manually.

What do you guys recommend? Both in terms of performance and longevity of the system. I'm definitely no expert regarding pc configurations, so please pardon me if any mistakes in my description. Thanks in advance for the help, much appreciated!

Full setup:

• Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3600 (2x 16GB)
  • Ryzen 7 5700g
  • Cooler Master V750 Gold
  • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
  • SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB

Last edited:
Reactions: MeanMachine41
Solution
Hi tevito(y)and Welcome to the Forum :D

If your RAM works fine using XMP then you are lucky to have the Overclock.
It is the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the CPU that determines if you can achieve the rated frequency of your RAM.
No harm will come with the extra frequency so enjoy the extra performance your system provides.
Hey there,

So this is a really easy answer.

You are absolutely fine to use XMP on the ram at 3600mhz. There is no problem with that, and it will not add any heat to your CPU.

Running your ram at 3600mhz will not do any harm to your PC. Ryzen loves fast ram.

Don't worry, just switch on XMP and enjoy your system :)

Reactions: tevito

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You could probably run 4400 mhz on a 5600G, with coupled Fclock.
Since Ryzen 3000-series, what has been the recommended RAM speed to get? 3600 Mhz. What is officially supported? https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600 3200 Mhz.
So you can totally ignore what the "official" crap says. To add to this, Intel only "officially" supports DDR4 3200 Mhz, max, even on 12900k. Of course you can run higher speed RAM on Intel too.
So they are just covering their behinds with the "official" stuff.

Dec 13, 2021
Thank you guys for the replies, glad to hear I can and should safely enable XMP!

One additional questions, should I ever add more RAM, should I add the exact same ones as the two I have now in order to make XMP still work? I have two 16GB drives now, and that leaves two empty slots for future upgrades.

Thank you guys for the replies, glad to hear I can and should safely enable XMP!

One additional questions, should I ever add more RAM, should I add the exact same ones as the two I have now in order to make XMP still work? I have two 16GB drives now, and that leaves two empty slots for future upgrades.

Unfortunately that is a NO NO (n)
RAM Dimms are binned at the factory so the Dimms are matched.
Its just like with the CPU regarding the quality of the Silicon.
A Dimm module may have exactly the same spec but differ in Latency/Density.

Some do try for budgetary reasons however unexpected shut downs or systems freezes are usually the result.

Best is to get a single kit the size and frequency the MB and CPU will support.
Intel scale better than Ryzen.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021
Unfortunately that is a NO NO (n)
RAM Dimms are binned at the factory so the Dimms are matched.
Its just like with the CPU regarding the quality of the Silicon.
A Dimm module may have exactly the same spec but differ in Latency/Density.

Some do try for budgetary reasons however unexpected shut downs or systems freezes are usually the result.

Best is to get a single kit the size and frequency the MB and CPU will support.
Intel scale better than Ryzen.

Ah, thank you for the info! So if I understand correctly, adding exactly the same ram kit as I have now in the additional slots is still a no go? In that case, I should get a whole new kit (consisting of 2 or 4 pieces). Not that I need the additional ram now, 32 is already an overkill for a non-game device, but good to know.

Ah, thank you for the info! So if I understand correctly, adding exactly the same ram kit as I have now in the additional slots is still a no go? In that case, I should get a whole new kit (consisting of 2 or 4 pieces). Not that I need the additional ram now, 32 is already an overkill for a non-game device, but good to know.

You understand correctly tevito and it's one of the most common issues we have to deal with.

So if I understand correctly, adding exactly the same ram kit as I have now in the additional slots is still a no go?
It is a matter of luck really. Even parts with same model number bought later may have completely different die and thus not compatible with what you got earlier. And in most cases you can't check that info before buying. Because of that the advised procedure is to sell old RAM and buy new bigger kit whenever you want to expand.

Jan 19, 2022
You could probably run 4400 mhz on a 5600G, with coupled Fclock.
Since Ryzen 3000-series, what has been the recommended RAM speed to get? 3600 Mhz. What is officially supported? https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600 3200 Mhz.
So you can totally ignore what the "official" crap says. To add to this, Intel only "officially" supports DDR4 3200 Mhz, max, even on 12900k. Of course you can run higher speed RAM on Intel too.
So they are just covering their behinds with the "official" stuff.
I have a question, Im using 4x8 3600mhz cl18 with the 5700g and I've been dealing with some problems(games shut down(amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered) and Im now thinking about the ram, AMD page says that 5700g should work with 3200, and somebody told me that I was putting more pressure to the apu using 4x8 and 3600mhz, is this a possibility? This is a brand new pc(my first PC) and I bought it last month
Here are the specs:

Aerocool Dorado 850w 80+ Gold
B450M Pro S (BIOS ready for Ryzen 5000) - Bios version 2409 2/12/2020
Ryzen 7 5700G
4x8 Memory GeiL DDR4 8GB 3600MHz EVO X II RGB CL18
SSD M.2 ADATA 512GB XPG Spectrix S40G 3500MB/s NVMe PCI-E X4
HDD Seagate 2TB Barracuda 256MB 7.2K RPM
W10 Pro 64bits 21H2 19044.1469
Everything's stock, I didn't buy Windows 10 Pro so I activated with a few commands in CMD

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I have a question, Im using 4x8 3600mhz cl18 with the 5700g and I've been dealing with some problems(games shut down(amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered) and Im now thinking about the ram, AMD page says that 5700g should work with 3200, and somebody told me that I was putting more pressure to the apu using 4x8 and 3600mhz, is this a possibility? This is a brand new pc(my first PC) and I bought it last month
Here are the specs:

Aerocool Dorado 850w 80+ Gold
B450M Pro S (BIOS ready for Ryzen 5000) - Bios version 2409 2/12/2020
Ryzen 7 5700G
4x8 Memory GeiL DDR4 8GB 3600MHz EVO X II RGB CL18
SSD M.2 ADATA 512GB XPG Spectrix S40G 3500MB/s NVMe PCI-E X4
HDD Seagate 2TB Barracuda 256MB 7.2K RPM
W10 Pro 64bits 21H2 19044.1469
Everything's stock, I didn't buy Windows 10 Pro so I activated with a few commands in CMD

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/mwo29a/amdwddmg_driver_issue/

Could be buggy GPU drivers, try and roll back to your previous version. Could also be your RAM. It could also be too much pressure on the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) that sits inside your CPU, since you have 4 sticks of RAM. It's integrated these days on both AMD and Intel. I think this is what you eluded to in your post. What happens if you try 3200 or 3400 Mhz RAM? Do you still get GPU driver error?

Jan 19, 2022
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/mwo29a/amdwddmg_driver_issue/

Could be buggy GPU drivers, try and roll back to your previous version. Could also be your RAM. It could also be too much pressure on the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) that sits inside your CPU, since you have 4 sticks of RAM. It's integrated these days on both AMD and Intel. I think this is what you eluded to in your post. What happens if you try 3200 or 3400 Mhz RAM? Do you still get GPU driver error?
I lowered it to 3200 yesterday and games stopped shutting down but if I play League of Legends the gpu driver stops and I have to force a reset, thats the only game tho, I can play Fortnite(200fps on performance mode 1920x1080) and csgo(200fps 4:3 at 1280x1024) with no problem at all, but if I play league at highest graphic(200fps) the gpu driver dies, I can still hear the game going on and also the other apps Im using(spotify, discord) but then I cant even reset the driver(win + ctrl + shift + B) so I have to reset the pc, I used DDU t remove the drivers and reinstalled adrenalin 21.10.2(recommended version)