Question Xmp cause bsod

k0ukouuu21

Prominent
Feb 23, 2018
Hey here is my setup: i7 4790k , Mobo z97x fatal1ty killer , gtx 1080 , gskil trident x 16gb (2x8) at 2400
My problem is when I am using xmp profile I am getting bsod after 1 min of stressing.
If I don’t use xmp profile my ram runs at 1333 MHz , any help!!!?

Reactions: dpjtpa

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
This exact module isn't in the QVL but I think it should work. Are you sure they're in the right order (usually 1st and 3rd slots) according to mobo? Make sure they're seated properly and try each just in the 1st slot.

dpjtpa

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
I run the same CPU w a MSI MOBO and GSkill Trident 2x8GB of DDR3 RAM. I encountered issues with the RAM running at 600Mhz (approx). I fiddled with XMP and ultimately found out that the voltage of the RAM needs increased in order to realize 2400Mhz as well as run smoothly. I encountered BSOD during trial and error.
If confirming the items mentioned by others then check out the voltage requirements and settings in your BIOS.

dpjtpa

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
Test one module at a time to see if it can be stable, or if one performs differently than the other.

If both are completely stable, then some tweaking may be able to stabilize it.

Let us know the result.

Also, initial slots for a motherboard are slot 2 and 4 away from CPU.

What is the reason you want to use slots 2 & 4?

compprob237

Distinguished
What is the reason you want to use slots 2 & 4?
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/QIG/Fatal1ty Z97X Killer_multiQIG.pdf
Page 20/182
Priority 1:
DDR3_A2 & DDR3_B2
Priority 2 works but it is obviously not the preferred configuration.
A large majority of motherboards are designed this way where the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU are the first slots to install RAM to.

FYI:
As @gskill support mentioned, you should test one stick at a time. Make sure that you install these sticks in DDR3_A2. That is the first slot and by Intel specifications this slot must have RAM in it for the system to boot. It will boot with it in A1 but it's not optimal. Last I tried B1/B2 it would refuse to boot.

Feb 27, 2019
I have an I7 4790K with 16GB RAM, Corsair RMX 650 and just got an RTX 2080 (had a GTX 1080 before). I use XMP on my old Gigabyte M5 Sniper board and it runs fine. As well as checking the slots for your RAM, check the temps you get before the BSOD. What PSU do you use? Do you have the BSOD code?

Also on a side note check your graphics card is in the x16 PCi Slot. Might sound obvious to some but I've come across people not aware they have different lanes of traffic on each slot. Especially on older boards.