XMP feature in an AMD mobo and only getting 1866Mhz from 2133Mhz RAM?

Brawk17

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Why do I have the XMP feature in my AMD Motherboard BIOS? I just recently bought new RAM that can reach 2133Mhz, but I can only get it to 1866Mhz (I don't know why). I don't see an AMP feature (which from what I've I heard is basically the equivalent of XMP for AMD mobos) I thought XMP was only for Intel. Why am I seeing this?

My Specs:
MB: MSI 970 Gaming
CPU: AMD FX-6300 OC'd to 4.2Ghz
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB(2x8GB) 2133Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 970

Solution
Many (if not most 6300's can't carry 2133....to help it could set the DRAM manually to spec timings (and in cases, loosen the CL) then raise the DRAM voltage + 0.06 from spec and set the CPU/NB voltage to about 1.3 (that's your MC (memory controller) voltage

Brawk17

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
I tried to enable it prior to asking this question and got a crash which is why I asked this question thinking something was odd about my mobo for having XMP xD. I tried it again and it didn't crash, but for some reason it is still only 1866Mhz :/ could it have something to do with my CPU? I remember hearing of it having issues with a few various things.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
By default it should go to 1866mhz that is what the CPU supports how are you check what it is running at? CPUZ should give you the true reading it should say (1066) x 2, if the reading is off you should set your timings in the bios to match what is recommended. Also what is the voltage of the ram? On that board for some reason you occasionally have to kick up the voltage of the RAM by .1 in order to get it to register right and be stable.

Brawk17

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
It says 1866Mhz in the BIOS even though I have it set for 2133Mhz. I also have CPU-Z running and it is showing me the frequency is 933.3Mhz :/ the voltage is set to 1.6V does that mean I should try setting it to 1.7?

With AMD mobos, you can see the DRAM OC feature labeled as XMP, AMP, DOCP, and I'm sure there's at least a few others. As far as your situation is concerned, sometimes a CPU OC can affect your ability to OC your DRAM, but it's much more likely that 1866 is the max that your CPU can handle.

This thread is from 2013, but the info is current. Scroll down to Tradesman1's post- he's one of, if not THE, DRAM gurus on THW:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1706847/fast-ram-amd-6300-support.html

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Many (if not most 6300's can't carry 2133....to help it could set the DRAM manually to spec timings (and in cases, loosen the CL) then raise the DRAM voltage + 0.06 from spec and set the CPU/NB voltage to about 1.3 (that's your MC (memory controller) voltage

Solution

Brawk17

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Thank you Tradesman1 and everyone for the helpful info. I've decided to just let it run in 1866Mhz, it's still a lot better than what I had before and hopefully sometime down the road I'll be able to afford a not so limited CPU for my build :)