maxstill

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2015
I've just upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2400G to a brand new Ryzen 5 5600X, I have an AsRock A320m HDV 3.0, so I had to flash the latest updated Bios on the motherboard, everything was fine, I normally use XMP , with the previous CPU and bios the ram had no issue running, I was able to keep it stable at 3200Mhz with 1.35v , that config pretty much ran for about a year.
After the upgrade with XMP enabled, the PC just hard crashes, full power off, not even a BSOD or any errors, that occurs in any more demanding application for the memory , such as gaming, running Memtest X86 also powers off the PC after just a few seconds, running the ram at base speed causes no issues so far, successfully completing the Memtest , all steps with no errors, so clearly the ram is not faulty.

CPU has also been stress tested , as well as the GPU, Furmark, running them both in full load, even the temps were pretty decent considering I'm still using the AMD stock cooler, the PSU seems fine as well, considering it was just ok with a GPU and CPU running in full load.

At this point, the only thing I can think about is that the MOBO is not able to handle it, either that or the memory controller on the CPU., the fact that the PC is just powering off, makes me think that the ram isn't getting sufficient voltage, even though I've set it as far as 1.45 in an attempt to make it stable.

I've tried a multitude of configs, different ram speeds, it just seems I can't push it past base clock, there is no other OC running on the system.

List of components :
AMD Ryzen 5600X
Palit NVidia GTX 1070 Dual
2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4
AsRock A320m HDV 3.0
Corsair 650m 650W PSU 80+ Bronze
Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA
Integral 500Gb SSD NVME M.2

I've just upgraded from a Ryzen 5 2400G to a brand new Ryzen 5 5600X, I have an AsRock A320m HDV 3.0, so I had to flash the latest updated Bios on the motherboard, everything was fine, I normally use XMP , with the previous CPU and bios the ram had no issue running, I was able to keep it stable at 3200Mhz with 1.35v , that config pretty much ran for about a year.
After the upgrade with XMP enabled, the PC just hard crashes, full power off, not even a BSOD or any errors, that occurs in any more demanding application for the memory , such as gaming, running Memtest X86 also powers off the PC after just a few seconds, running the ram at base speed causes no issues so far, successfully completing the Memtest , all steps with no errors, so clearly the ram is not faulty.

CPU has also been stress tested , as well as the GPU, Furmark, running them both in full load, even the temps were pretty decent considering I'm still using the AMD stock cooler, the PSU seems fine as well, considering it was just ok with a GPU and CPU running in full load.

At this point, the only thing I can think about is that the MOBO is not able to handle it, either that or the memory controller on the CPU., the fact that the PC is just powering off, makes me think that the ram isn't getting sufficient voltage, even though I've set it as far as 1.45 in an attempt to make it stable.

I've tried a multitude of configs, different ram speeds, it just seems I can't push it past base clock, there is no other OC running on the system.

List of components :
AMD Ryzen 5600X
Palit NVidia GTX 1070 Dual
2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4
AsRock A320m HDV 3.0
Corsair 650m 650W PSU 80+ Bronze
Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA
Integral 500Gb SSD NVME M.2
Using memtest what happens if you run the ram at 3000 not 3200?

Are these 2 sticks of ram a kit or 2 sticks bought separate?

Things to consider:
AMD boards have differing QVL lists for memory based on CPU. Your RAM was clearly fine for your old CPU but that does not mean it is fully compatible with new CPU.
A320 is as cheap mobo model as it gets for Ryzen, so running 5600X on it is a bit of stretch. I would say some problems are to be expected.

However, nature of the problem (namely losing power) might suggest something wrong with new CPU. Since we know your motherboard can supply higher RAM voltages without problem with old CPU there is no reason to suspect it is motherboard problem, unless it's just the total amount of power consumed that exceeds motherboard VRM capability. To test the latter, remove one stick (to reduce power draw) and try again.

maxstill

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2015
Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit? How old is said unit? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you currently on?
Its a CX 650m, the unit is about 2 years old, the Bios version is 7.10.

Using memtest what happens if you run the ram at 3000 not 3200?

Are these 2 sticks of ram a kit or 2 sticks bought separate?
They are part of the same kit, running it at 3000 also crashes the test, as a matter of fact pretty much any enabled XMP profile crashes it.

Things to consider:
AMD boards have differing QVL lists for memory based on CPU. Your RAM was clearly fine for your old CPU but that does not mean it is fully compatible with new CPU.
A320 is as cheap mobo model as it gets for Ryzen, so running 5600X on it is a bit of stretch. I would say some problems are to be expected.

However, nature of the problem (namely losing power) might suggest something wrong with new CPU. Since we know your motherboard can supply higher RAM voltages without problem with old CPU there is no reason to suspect it is motherboard problem, unless it's just the total amount of power consumed that exceeds motherboard VRM capability. To test the latter, remove one stick (to reduce power draw) and try again.
The CPU has been stress tested in full load, using Furmark, and Cinebench, so it seems that the CPU is more than fine and can run without any issues, Ryzen can be a bit iffy with memory configurations, though I expected it to work given that it's a relatively new model.
I don't think that the MOBO is faulty , as you've mentioned, I suspect it's a bit too much of a weakling to handle the new shinny 5600X, might try applying a OC with Ryzen Master and see if bypassing the Bios can solve the issue.

Its a CX 650m, the unit is about 2 years old, the Bios version is 7.10.

They are part of the same kit, running it at 3000 also crashes the test, as a matter of fact pretty much any enabled XMP profile crashes it.

The CPU has been stress tested in full load, using Furmark, and Cinebench, so it seems that the CPU is more than fine and can run without any issues, Ryzen can be a bit iffy with memory configurations, though I expected it to work given that it's a relatively new model.
I don't think that the MOBO is faulty , as you've mentioned, I suspect it's a bit too much of a weakling to handle the new shinny 5600X, might try applying a OC with Ryzen Master and see if bypassing the Bios can solve the issue.