[SOLVED] XMP profile causes boot failure

black97 devil

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Hello
every one

i have been trying for quite sometime to enable XMP profile on my memory but every time i do that using Gigabyte Easy tune software or directly from the BIOS , it require a restart then it says boot fail and i have to to revert the setting,

Note that: my memory is :Kingstone hyperx khx2133c14d4/8g , i bought one then after several year i needed more RAM so i bought the same exact model again so now i have 2x8gb and i dont know if this what causing the issue here , i never tried to manual edit DRAM voltage or the timing

so what i want to do is a way to enable XMP if it didn't work i want to safely overclock it manually but I'm not expert and i need guidance
thanx

this is my part list :https://pcpartpicker.com/user/black97devil/saved/#view=qdDZf7

Solution
Hi black97 devil

Mixing RAM is not a good idea and the reason is a probable difference in Latency.
Dimms are binned at the factory after manufacture for compatibility to ensure compliance then packaged as a single kit. Even kits with exactly the same specs can be a mismatch.
My advice is to return what you have and get a single kit, the size you need at a frequency your Motherboard and CPU support and chosen from the Motherboard QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.

Yes you may have heard that they can be mixed and sometimes they may boot however you will have issues down the track like unexpected shutdowns and reboots. Keep the old kit for spares and get a single matched kit.

Your CPU supports up to...
Hi black97 devil

Mixing RAM is not a good idea and the reason is a probable difference in Latency.
Dimms are binned at the factory after manufacture for compatibility to ensure compliance then packaged as a single kit. Even kits with exactly the same specs can be a mismatch.
My advice is to return what you have and get a single kit, the size you need at a frequency your Motherboard and CPU support and chosen from the Motherboard QVL. That way you know they are tested and known to work.

Yes you may have heard that they can be mixed and sometimes they may boot however you will have issues down the track like unexpected shutdowns and reboots. Keep the old kit for spares and get a single matched kit.

Your CPU supports up to 2133Mhz and your Motherboard supports Quad channel up to 3400Mhz. A Quad channel kit will give you double the bandwidth. Be careful in what you choose as you will have an XMP profile for 2133Mhz however, if you choose a higher frequency than 2133Mhz it will involve manually tweaking Bios for timings and voltage with no guaranty you will reach the rated frequency.

It is also advised to update your Bios and chipset if not already done so.

Last edited:
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello
every one

i have been trying for quite sometime to enable XMP profile on my memory but every time i do that using Gigabyte Easy tune software or directly from the BIOS , it require a restart then it says boot fail and i have to to revert the setting,

Note that: my memory is :Kingstone hyperx khx2133c14d4/8g , i bought one then after several year i needed more RAM so i bought the same exact model again so now i have 2x8gb and i dont know if this what causing the issue here , i never tried to manual edit DRAM voltage or the timing

so what i want to do is a way to enable XMP if it didn't work i want to safely overclock it manually but I'm not expert and i need guidance
thanx

this is my part list :https://pcpartpicker.com/user/black97devil/saved/#view=qdDZf7

RAM doesn't really have "models" in the way that a car does. RAM is pretty much just similar stuff binned depending on how it turns out in the testing in the fabrication process. It's more like you making 10 cakes from the same recipe and pricing them differently depending on how they turned out.

Sticks that aren't tested and sold together are mixing sticks. And if it's 2133 memory, the "next bin" down was basically the recycling one. Now, there's frequently some give as companies want to be cautious and not lose their profits to RMAs, but there's zero guarantee that a stick of 2133 RAM will overclock with stability and less of a one that two mixed 2133 sticks will either.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
We're you really using a quad memory channel cpu with only one dimm?

XMP is technically overclocking and is never guaranteed to work. Looking at the specs of that memory it's running at exactly the same speed and primary timings whether you have xmp on or off so there's not really any reason to use xmp unless it's really tightening the secondary timings a lot.

Did you install your dimms in the correct slots? You should be installing in grey slots on the left and right side closest to the cpu socket. You have 4 memory channels, but 8 slots. Each pair of grey and black slots next to each other are daisy chained on the same memory channel and if you only populate one slot from each channel you want to be using the one at the end of the daisy chain. More dimms per channel = more load on the memory controller and is more demanding on signal integrity. These dimms also appear to be dual rank which is also more demanding on the memory controller.

Generally cpus are only certified to run at their max supported memory speed when using one single rank dimm per channel. Is your ram running at a lower speed than 2133MT/s when you disable xmp? If it is then that's the max officially supported speed with that many ranks/dimms per channel and your cpu probably can't handle any more than that.

heitorbonfim

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
Hello
every one

thanx

I have an Asus B550 that claims to have an AI - artificial intelligence - in Bios. I activated XMP 2666, but I didn't like it. The games closed without warning, there were other problems. Now I'm a fan of minimum clocks to have fast latencies and timings. So, I see an advantage in games. There is no lag. The CPU I put in the maximum allowed by the manufacturer. Everything looks great.

black97 devil

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
i managed successfully to enable XMP from BIOS , easy tune software wouldn't work , then i increased freq to 2400mhz gradually in value above this causes boot failure , thank you guys no game crash or boot failure since