XP fax console problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

beemer

Faxing and reading faxes using Microsoft Office Document Imaging were
fine until today. Now although faxing is okay the fax console will not
display fax images. Double clicking or using the menu does nothing.
However I can open the same fax stored as Tifs in the storage folders.

Help! (and is this the best newsgroup to ask for this problem?)

Beemer

What is the File Association for TIF files?
What version of Office is installed?
How are you trying to "read faxes?"
What changes did you make to your system?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Faxing and reading faxes using Microsoft Office Document Imaging were
> fine until today. Now although faxing is okay the fax console will not
> display fax images. Double clicking or using the menu does nothing.
> However I can open the same fax stored as Tifs in the storage folders.
>
> Help! (and is this the best newsgroup to ask for this problem?)
>
> Beemer

beemer

In article <ej$m$HnIEHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, russval@mvps.org
says...
> What is the File Association for TIF files?
> What version of Office is installed?
> How are you trying to "read faxes?"
> What changes did you make to your system?

Russ,

> What is the File Association for TIF files? - windows picture and fax viewer
> What version of Office is installed? - 2003
> How are you trying to "read faxes?" - by double clicking and view menu in fax console
> What changes did you make to your system? - forever tinkering

Problem I see is that the "faxes" shown in fax consule have no file
extention and no properties page to change the viewer. As I said
because I had previously selected to ALSO save the incoming faxes to
disk I can view these TIFFS from explorer. I do not know if the
"faxes" in fax console are tiffs

Beemer

What makes you think that the fax files in your console have no extension?
You could verify this by looking at the files under -
%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Inbox
Are these files Tiffs? If yes you should try changing the association of
..tiff files from Tools -> Folder Options in the explorer window.
--
Vibha Rathi
Microsoft Printing,Imaging and Fax Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrantied,and confers no rights.
please do not send email directly to this alias.This alias is for newsgroup
pruposes only.'

> In article <ej$m$HnIEHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, russval@mvps.org
> says...
> > What is the File Association for TIF files?
> > What version of Office is installed?
> > How are you trying to "read faxes?"
> > What changes did you make to your system?
> >

> Russ,
>
> > What is the File Association for TIF files? - windows picture and fax
viewer
> > What version of Office is installed? - 2003
> > How are you trying to "read faxes?" - by double clicking and view menu
in fax console
> > What changes did you make to your system? - forever tinkering
>
> Problem I see is that the "faxes" shown in fax consule have no file
> extention and no properties page to change the viewer. As I said
> because I had previously selected to ALSO save the incoming faxes to
> disk I can view these TIFFS from explorer. I do not know if the
> "faxes" in fax console are tiffs
>
> Beemer

beemer

In article <407e4a90@news.microsoft.com>, vibrath@online.microsoft.com
says...
> What makes you think that the fax files in your console have no extension?
> You could verify this by looking at the files under -
> %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Inbox
> Are these files Tiffs? If yes you should try changing the association of
> .tiff files from Tools -> Folder Options in the explorer window.

Vibha,

Your reply most appreciated however although I can open any Tif in the
folder you stated I cannot open any fax in the fax console which is what
I reported. The fax console shows a job id not a tif file extension.
Are the faxes in the Inbox etc just short cuts? Double clicking an item
or selecting view menu does not open anything.

Beemer

A number of standard update and repair procedures disabled the Fax Monitor
in the initial release of Windows XP. These problems were fixed in Service
Pack 1. Make sure you apply SP1 if you notice this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011
You Cannot Preview a Fax in the Fax Console

This may also apply:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing Norton
Internet Security

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

> In article <407e4a90@news.microsoft.com>, vibrath@online.microsoft.com
> says...
> > What makes you think that the fax files in your console have no
extension?
> > You could verify this by looking at the files under -
> > %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Inbox
> > Are these files Tiffs? If yes you should try changing the association of
> > .tiff files from Tools -> Folder Options in the explorer window.
> >
> Vibha,
>
> Your reply most appreciated however although I can open any Tif in the
> folder you stated I cannot open any fax in the fax console which is what
> I reported. The fax console shows a job id not a tif file extension.
> Are the faxes in the Inbox etc just short cuts? Double clicking an item
> or selecting view menu does not open anything.
>
> Beemer

beemer

In article <e7iAvx0IEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, hhh@kvoa.com says...
> A number of standard update and repair procedures disabled the Fax Monitor
> in the initial release of Windows XP. These problems were fixed in Service
> Pack 1. Make sure you apply SP1 if you notice this problem.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011
> You Cannot Preview a Fax in the Fax Console
>
> This may also apply:
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
> Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing Norton
> Internet Security
>
> Hal

Hal,

Your fix at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011 worked.

However can you tell me if the default fax viewer should be:

Microsoft Office Document Imaging (which the fix now uses) or Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer?

Many thanks!

Beemer

beemer

In article <MPG.1ae9af7caefa9c9989685@news.microsoft.com>,
Beemer@nowhere.com says...
> In article <e7iAvx0IEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, hhh@kvoa.com says...
> > A number of standard update and repair procedures disabled the Fax Monitor
> > in the initial release of Windows XP. These problems were fixed in Service
> > Pack 1. Make sure you apply SP1 if you notice this problem.

> > You Cannot Preview a Fax in the Fax Console
> >
> > This may also apply:
> >
> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
> > Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing Norton
> > Internet Security
> >
> > Hal
> >
> Hal,
>
> Your fix at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011 worked.
>
> However can you tell me if the default fax viewer should be:
>
> Microsoft Office Document Imaging (which the fix now uses) or Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Beemer

Hal,

I should have mentioned that the present association using windows
picture viewer has a problem. When forwarding a received fax with a
cover note Windows Picture Viewer does not provide a preview just
showing the cover note and attached page it shows ALL pages in the film
strip viewer. I am concerned that I might attach and send a wrong page
to a customer. In this respect

Beemer

Once Office 2003 is installed, MODI should be your default viewer. Do not
Forward faxes. Open them in MODI and print them to the Fax printer.
--
> In article <MPG.1ae9af7caefa9c9989685@news.microsoft.com>,
> Beemer@nowhere.com says...
> > In article <e7iAvx0IEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, hhh@kvoa.com says...
> > > A number of standard update and repair procedures disabled the Fax
Monitor
> > > in the initial release of Windows XP. These problems were fixed in
Service
> > > Pack 1. Make sure you apply SP1 if you notice this problem.
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011
> > > You Cannot Preview a Fax in the Fax Console
> > >
> > > This may also apply:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/c06387f12de9fa2a88256cf60063c54d?OpenDocument
> > > Microsoft Fax Monitor does not function properly after installing
Norton
> > > Internet Security
> > >
> > > Hal
> > >
> > Hal,
> >
> > Your fix at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322011 worked.
> >
> > However can you tell me if the default fax viewer should be:
> >
> > Microsoft Office Document Imaging (which the fix now uses) or Windows
> > Picture and Fax Viewer?
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > Beemer
> >
> Hal,
>
> I should have mentioned that the present association using windows
> picture viewer has a problem. When forwarding a received fax with a
> cover note Windows Picture Viewer does not provide a preview just
> showing the cover note and attached page it shows ALL pages in the film
> strip viewer. I am concerned that I might attach and send a wrong page
> to a customer. In this respect
>
> Beemer

beemer

In article <OHcbCN6IEHA.3820@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, russval@mvps.org
says...
> Once Office 2003 is installed, MODI should be your default viewer. Do not
> Forward faxes. Open them in MODI and print them to the Fax printer.

Russ,

Done...thats better. Now returned to what I'm used to.

Thanks.

Beemer