Susan

I bought a new laptop today with XP pre-loaded. I tried
to get the fax to work but when setting it up it asks for
the XP CD - but one doesn't come with the lap top. Any
ideas to help me get it working? Thanks

Look on or ask the laptop dealer or manufacturer's website.

"Susan" <mistydmail@aol.com> wrote in message
|I bought a new laptop today with XP pre-loaded. I tried
| to get the fax to work but when setting it up it asks for
| the XP CD - but one doesn't come with the lap top. Any
| ideas to help me get it working? Thanks

First go back to the store/manufacturer, and request the recovery/restore CD's or Win XP CD for the laptop. There might be a hidden partition on your laptop, for restoring your laptop.

Check for a folder in the C:\ drive labeled "I386". Browse to that folder when asked for the WinXP CD.

With the hidden partition, there should be a way to copy that partition and its contents onto a CD, as a backup. If it gives you an option to delete the partition after making the copy to free up space, I would personal choose to leave that partition on the HDD. And do it as soon as possible. If for any reason the HDD fails in the future, or you remove the partition, when repartitioning the HDD, you might loose your copy of Win XP.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Susan" <mistydmail@aol.com> wrote in message news:2d8101c4ae2a$03e6bfd0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
I bought a new laptop today with XP pre-loaded. I tried
to get the fax to work but when setting it up it asks for
the XP CD - but one doesn't come with the lap top. Any
ideas to help me get it working? Thanks

Thanks for this. How do I find the "hidden partition"?

Appropriate>>

>"Susan" <mistydmail@aol.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new laptop today with XP pre-loaded. I tried
>to get the fax to work but when setting it up it asks
for
>the XP CD - but one doesn't come with the lap top. Any
>ideas to help me get it working? Thanks
>.

Only do this temporarily, after your done, reset the settings back.

My Computer> TOOLS> Options> View tab>
1. Select Show Hidden files
2. Uncheck "Hide extensions..."
3. Uncheck "Hide protected files..."

Also check PC manual and/or PC website and see the instruction for copying the hidden partition to CD. There might be a program in the Start button> Programs Menu to make this copy to CD.

But again I would contact the PC store and or manufacturer, demanding a Restore/Recovery CD. Especially with laptops. Since allot of the driver software for laptops, are manufacturer/model specific. And the standard Win OS CD, might not contain these particular drivers. There may be a short grace period to get these replacement CDs. If you wait too long, then you will forced to purchase new MS Win OS software.

I own a DELL PC & Laptop. I have read that they are starting to place a hidden partition containing the Recovery/Restore CD + Drivers, on some, or all newly purchased Dell models . But have also read, that if the diagnostic (another hidden) partition is damaged or removed, then the Recovery/Restore CD + Drivers partition, becomes very hard if not impossible to access. That may be the reason that they are also sending the replacement CD's, with the purchase.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:302801c4ae95$d159a610$a401280a@phx.gbl...
Thanks for this. How do I find the "hidden partition"?
>"Susan" <mistydmail@aol.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new laptop today with XP pre-loaded. I tried
>to get the fax to work but when setting it up it asks
for
>the XP CD - but one doesn't come with the lap top. Any
>ideas to help me get it working? Thanks
>.

TRENDING THREADS