XP group

Is there an equivalent to this group for Windows XP ?
-- A
André H. Faure <amifar.oy@kanetti.fi>
Amifar Oy, Jyväskylä, Finland

That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you might want
to try some of the others:

You don't specify your issue, and others might be more appropriate. There's a
dozen or so.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"André H. Faure kanetti.fi>" <Andre.Faure@<ERASE> wrote in message
> Is there an equivalent to this group for Windows XP ?
> -- A
> André H. Faure <amifar.oy@kanetti.fi>
> Amifar Oy, Jyväskylä, Finland

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:29:29 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you might want
>to try some of the others:

Not everyone in that newsgroup is a Troll Gary. Just because people
have different views does not make them a troll.

Let face it, Even Carey (MVP) Could be a Troll. She/he was telling
everyone there was nothing wrong with WGA and telling people to
install legit operating systems. She finally had to eat his/her
words.

No one can agree on the OEM policy.

Greg Ro

"Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:29:29 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>>That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you might want
>>to try some of the others:
>
> Not everyone in that newsgroup is a Troll Gary. Just because people
> have different views does not make them a troll.
>
> Let face it, Even Carey (MVP) Could be a Troll. She/he was telling
> everyone there was nothing wrong with WGA and telling people to
> install legit operating systems. She finally had to eat his/her
> words.
>
> No one can agree on the OEM policy.

I didn't say they were, Greg. But in comparison to most other groups, the one
that discusses the current consumer Windows version traditionally attracts more
trolls, and tends to include long threads discussing what I would call
"political" issues around Windows and Microsoft in general. Worse yet is when
the vocal adherents start dropping their arguments into any and every thread
where it could possibly, even tentatively apply. For newbies, it can be
daunting, intimidating, and difficult to determine who's on the up and up and
who's just there to mess with your head or rant. Whereas the more focused groups
*tend* to stay on point more reliably.

I wasn't making any black or white characterizations, just pointing out that the
General Discussion groups aren't the only ones, and that the lesser-attended
groups might be more useful to the OP. Note that I provided the link to the
General Discussion group first.

No comment on Carey (he's male, AFAIK) other than to say I think WGA is an
abomination--and that I've seldom found myself on the same side of *any*
argument as Carey where he has made his opinions known.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Thanks. I looked only in the set starting with microsoft dot
something. I'll look in MSNEWS. No particular issue (so far).
-- A
André H. Faure <amifar.oy@kanetti.fi>
Amifar Oy, Jyväskylä, Finland

Gary S. Terhune said in message
<OskMKZvtFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> ...

> That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you might want
> to try some of the others:
>
> You don't specify your issue, and others might be more appropriate. There's a
> dozen or so.

I got one of those wrong, André.
should be

--

> Thanks. I looked only in the set starting with microsoft dot
> something. I'll look in MSNEWS. No particular issue (so far).
> -- A
> André H. Faure <amifar.oy@kanetti.fi>
> Amifar Oy, Jyväskylä, Finland
>
> Gary S. Terhune said in message
> <OskMKZvtFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> ...
>>
>> That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you might
>> want
>> to try some of the others:
>>
>> You don't specify your issue, and others might be more appropriate. There's a
>> dozen or so.

You need to put on your tinfoil helmet when fooling with those URLs!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| I got one of those wrong, André.
| should be

| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User
|

| "André H. Faure kanetti.fi>" <Andre.Faure@<ERASE> wrote in message
| > Thanks. I looked only in the set starting with microsoft dot
| > something. I'll look in MSNEWS. No particular issue (so far).
| > -- A
| > André H. Faure <amifar.oy@kanetti.fi>
| > Amifar Oy, Jyväskylä, Finland
| >
| > Gary S. Terhune said in message
| > <OskMKZvtFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> ...
| >>
| >> That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you
might
| >> want
| >> to try some of the others:
| >>
| >> You don't specify your issue, and others might be more appropriate.
There's a
| >> dozen or so.

Can't. The dog has decided that she needs it more than I do.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> You need to put on your tinfoil helmet when fooling with those URLs!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | I got one of those wrong, André.
> | should be

> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User
> |

> | "André H. Faure kanetti.fi>" <Andre.Faure@<ERASE> wrote in message
> | > Thanks. I looked only in the set starting with microsoft dot
> | > something. I'll look in MSNEWS. No particular issue (so far).
> | > -- A
> | > André H. Faure <amifar.oy@kanetti.fi>
> | > Amifar Oy, Jyväskylä, Finland
> | >
> | > Gary S. Terhune said in message
> | > <OskMKZvtFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> ...

> might

> There's a

Ehhh... oh, oh, that's right, it's burying your XP startup diskette!

--
| Can't. The dog has decided that she needs it more than I do.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > You need to put on your tinfoil helmet when fooling with those URLs!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | I got one of those wrong, André.
| > | should be
| > |

| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS-MVP Shell/User
| > |
| > |
| > | "André H. Faure kanetti.fi>" <Andre.Faure@<ERASE> wrote in message

| > might

| > There's a

| > |

No, she did that long ago. No, it's that she's been hanging out with some rather
mournful looking hounds recently, and has become convinced that the sky is
falling. The helmet appears to keep her from dwelling on it, since that was
beginning to interfere with her naturally sunny attitude (and with her
ball-fielding--kept looking up to the sky whenever I threw the ball and getting
distracted.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> No, she did that long ago. No, it's that she's been hanging out with some
> rather mournful looking hounds recently,

Sounder and friends?

and has become convinced that the sky is
> falling. The helmet appears to keep her from dwelling on it, since that was
> beginning to interfere with her naturally sunny attitude (and with her
> ball-fielding--kept looking up to the sky whenever I threw the ball and
> getting distracted.)

Smart pup. Wear tinfoil to keep you in the focus. BTW, what, or should I say
who was walking by at the time?

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Why, with your new & friendly demeanor, does she hang with mournful
hounds, Terhune? As far as looking in the sky, that's the normal place
TO LOOK, when a ball is thrown at you!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
| No, she did that long ago. No, it's that she's been hanging out with
some rather
| mournful looking hounds recently, and has become convinced that the
sky is
| falling. The helmet appears to keep her from dwelling on it, since
that was
| beginning to interfere with her naturally sunny attitude (and with her
| ball-fielding--kept looking up to the sky whenever I threw the ball
and getting
| distracted.)
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > Ehhh... oh, oh, that's right, it's burying your XP startup diskette!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | Can't. The dog has decided that she needs it more than I do.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS-MVP Shell/User
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
URLs!

| > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > you

| > appropriate.

| > | > |

| > |

> Why, with your new & friendly demeanor, does she hang with mournful
> hounds, Terhune?

She's a "contraire". Takes after her old man.

> As far as looking in the sky, that's the normal place
> TO LOOK, when a ball is thrown at you!

My point is that as she looks towards the sky, she gets distracted, instead of
following the ball.

Then again, it might be the squirrels in the pines that are catching her
attention.

PS--You keep calling me "friendly" and I'm gonna have to plonk you again!
Speaking of which, I have to admit that at least *some* of your posting habits
have improved since last I checked, <eg>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

>As far as looking in the sky, that's the normal place
> TO LOOK, when a ball is thrown at you!

I'm going out o a limb here. Hmmmmm, let me guess. You weren't very good at
bombardment, were you?

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

What could it mean, she rather hang with mournful hounds?

--
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > No, she did that long ago. No, it's that she's been hanging out with
some
| > rather mournful looking hounds recently,
|
| Sounder and friends?
|
| and has become convinced that the sky is
| > falling. The helmet appears to keep her from dwelling on it, since
that was
| > beginning to interfere with her naturally sunny attitude (and with
her
| > ball-fielding--kept looking up to the sky whenever I threw the ball
and
| > getting distracted.)
|
| Smart pup. Wear tinfoil to keep you in the focus. BTW, what, or
should I say
| who was walking by at the time?
|
| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/
|
| Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:44:50 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>"Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:29:29 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
>> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>>>That group might be a bit to noisy and full of trolls, etc., so you might want
>>>to try some of the others:
>>
>> Not everyone in that newsgroup is a Troll Gary. Just because people
>> have different views does not make them a troll.
>>
>> Let face it, Even Carey (MVP) Could be a Troll. She/he was telling
>> everyone there was nothing wrong with WGA and telling people to
>> install legit operating systems. She finally had to eat his/her
>> words.
>>
>> No one can agree on the OEM policy.
>
>I didn't say they were, Greg. But in comparison to most other groups, the one
>that discusses the current consumer Windows version traditionally attracts more
>trolls, and tends to include long threads discussing what I would call
>"political" issues around Windows and Microsoft in general. Worse yet is when
>the vocal adherents start dropping their arguments into any and every thread
>where it could possibly, even tentatively apply. For newbies, it can be
>daunting, intimidating, and difficult to determine who's on the up and up and
>who's just there to mess with your head or rant. Whereas the more focused groups
>*tend* to stay on point more reliably.
>
>I wasn't making any black or white characterizations, just pointing out that the
>General Discussion groups aren't the only ones, and that the lesser-attended
>groups might be more useful to the OP. Note that I provided the link to the
>General Discussion group first.
>
>No comment on Carey (he's male, AFAIK) other than to say I think WGA is an
>abomination--and that I've seldom found myself on the same side of *any*
>argument as Carey where he has made his opinions known.

No problem. I just did not want the original poster thinking
everyone in the xp group is a troll. I meant no offense to you Gary

I will admit. I did a rant about Vista. I did not post to several
groups or keep going on about it. I back to using a windows 98se as
well as xp. I seem to be using windows 98se more and more.

One thing I hate about WGA. If you do a clean install. You better
have the two virus patches ready to install before you connect to
internet. Depending on the version of xp you have.

Greg Ro

I have yet to discover a single redeeming quality in WGA, not even looking at it
from Microsoft's point of view. It's just ridiculous and accomplishes absolutely
no purpose beyond pissing people off.

Not sure what patches you're talking about.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> One thing I hate about WGA. If you do a clean install. You better
> have the two virus patches ready to install before you connect to
> internet. Depending on the version of xp you have.

I think I would drop & cover my head for that one!

--

| > Why, with your new & friendly demeanor, does she hang with mournful
| > hounds, Terhune?
|
| She's a "contraire". Takes after her old man.

Name ONE mournful hound you hang with, then... other than possibly
Harper.

| > As far as looking in the sky, that's the normal place
| > TO LOOK, when a ball is thrown at you!
|
| My point is that as she looks towards the sky, she gets distracted,
instead of
| following the ball.
|
| Then again, it might be the squirrels in the pines that are catching
her
| attention.

I guess it COULD be that, seeing as she ain't nothin' but a hound dog!

| PS--You keep calling me "friendly" and I'm gonna have to plonk you
again!

And send ME looking for mournful hounds to hang with!

| Speaking of which, I have to admit that at least *some* of your
posting habits
| have improved since last I checked, <eg>.

Don't go opening that can of worms!

| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

You don't know him. His name is Daniel, WOOF!!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Why, with your new & friendly demeanor, does she hang with mournful
> | > hounds, Terhune?
> |
> | She's a "contraire". Takes after her old man.
>
> Name ONE mournful hound you hang with, then... other than possibly
> Harper.
>

> | > As far as looking in the sky, that's the normal place
> | > TO LOOK, when a ball is thrown at you!
> |
> | My point is that as she looks towards the sky, she gets distracted,
> instead of
> | following the ball.
> |
> | Then again, it might be the squirrels in the pines that are catching
> her
> | attention.
>
> I guess it COULD be that, seeing as she ain't nothin' but a hound dog!
>

> | PS--You keep calling me "friendly" and I'm gonna have to plonk you
> again!
>
> And send ME looking for mournful hounds to hang with!
>
> | Speaking of which, I have to admit that at least *some* of your
> posting habits
> | have improved since last I checked, <eg>.
>
> Don't go opening that can of worms!
>

> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User

I ain't mournful ... I'm differently-attituded. :)

> Name ONE mournful hound you hang with, then... other than possibly
> Harper.

Blaster and Sasser.

But of course, a Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD (available for free from
Microsoft) would do the same and more. :)

>I have yet to discover a single redeeming quality in WGA, not even looking
>at it from Microsoft's point of view. It's just ridiculous and accomplishes
>absolutely no purpose beyond pissing people off.
>
> Not sure what patches you're talking about.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
>> One thing I hate about WGA. If you do a clean install. You better
>> have the two virus patches ready to install before you connect to
>> internet. Depending on the version of xp you have.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:24:34 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@email.com> wrote:

>Blaster and Sasser.
>
>But of course, a Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD (available for free from
>Microsoft) would do the same and more. :)

Gary
Richard got it correct. Blaster and Sasser

Since, you can no longer update before you get the WGA or even
activate. I read threads that you have to activate before you can
even install the WGA. You need to install the blaster and Sasser
patches before even connecting to the internet. That only if your
version of windows is windows xp or xp sp1. (Microsoft should of made
those downloadable without WGA).

Greg Ro

OK thanks, Greg and Richard. Yes, WGA is a POS destined to cause *lots* of
problems for little or no return (even negative return) for MS.

But hell, it's apparently quite easy to get around it. I hear there's more than
one script already out there for this purpose.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:24:34 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
> <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Blaster and Sasser.
>>
>>But of course, a Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD (available for free from
>>Microsoft) would do the same and more. :)
>

> Gary
> Richard got it correct. Blaster and Sasser
>
> Since, you can no longer update before you get the WGA or even
> activate. I read threads that you have to activate before you can
> even install the WGA. You need to install the blaster and Sasser
> patches before even connecting to the internet. That only if your
> version of windows is windows xp or xp sp1. (Microsoft should of made
> those downloadable without WGA).
>

> Greg Ro

OK, then! You were right!

--
| You don't know him. His name is Daniel, WOOF!!
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > |
| > | She's a "contraire". Takes after her old man.
| >
| > Name ONE mournful hound you hang with, then... other than possibly
| > Harper.

| > |
| > |
| > | My point is that as she looks towards the sky, she gets
distracted,
| > instead of
| > | following the ball.
| > |
| > | Then again, it might be the squirrels in the pines that are
catching
| > her
| > | attention.
| >
| > I guess it COULD be that, seeing as she ain't nothin' but a hound
dog!

| > |
| > | PS--You keep calling me "friendly" and I'm gonna have to plonk you
| > again!
| >
| > And send ME looking for mournful hounds to hang with!
| >
| > | Speaking of which, I have to admit that at least *some* of your
| > posting habits
| > | have improved since last I checked, <eg>.
| >
| > Don't go opening that can of worms!

| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune