xp home bootup

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

we just upgraded a mobo on an AMD athlon xp system. old board had a via
ethernet card, and new board has nforce ultra. the computer now hangs on
starting windows while it tries to install sometihng, but i cannot tell what.
when computer finally gets to desktop, the device manager shows no problems.
bootlog does not seem to work (i get no bootlog.txt file).

the VIA Rhine controller card is shown as installed in the management
section under networks. it also shows the nforce card. they both have the
same IP.

how do i get rid of the entries for the via card in the registry?

"marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>we just upgraded a mobo on an AMD athlon xp system. old board had a via
>ethernet card, and new board has nforce ultra. the computer now hangs on
>starting windows while it tries to install sometihng, but i cannot tell what.
> when computer finally gets to desktop, the device manager shows no problems.
> bootlog does not seem to work (i get no bootlog.txt file).
>
>the VIA Rhine controller card is shown as installed in the management
>section under networks. it also shows the nforce card. they both have the
>same IP.
>
>how do i get rid of the entries for the via card in the registry?

When you replace the motherboard on a Windows XP system with a
different make/model board you need to do a Repair Install of your
Windows XP in order to properly configure it for the new hardware.

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm for detailed
instructions on how to do this.

A repair install will preserve all of your installed applications,
user data files, and program configuration settings. However Windows
Updates will have to be reinstalled. Also if you have upgraded your
Windows XP to Service Pack 2 and your CD does not have Service Pack 2
integrated into it you will have to create a new XP install CD with
Service Pack 2 slipstreamed as per the instructions at
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

appreciate the help, but we had already done that.

put XP CD in and booted it,

passed by the recovery console

told WINDOWS to repair the current installation. installed all new mobo
drivers.

during bootup, the screen says...windows starting...the line on the bottom
disappears, and the system hangs for about a minute. then i get the desktop.
if i go to control panel/add hardware, i get the message that only one
device can be added at a time. i have no yellow exclamation marks or
question marks on the device manager.

i can see the VIA rhine controller in the registry but cannot delete it,even
in safe mode.

maybe it is not the via controller, but something is hanging up the system
at bootup. the error logger says that a network interface has timed out.