XP Home User Access Denied????

Anybody,

Motherboard decided to finally give itself up over the weekend, so Iurchased
a new motherboard, and new hard-drive, with the intention of using the old
drive as a spare, after transferring the appropriate files accross to an
external drive for storage.

My problem was that I can't log on to the drive using the standard windows
boot up. It wants to start in safe mode, but just resets itself continuoisly.

I did install XP Pro onto the new drive, then added the old drive as a
slave, which gives access to all but one user folder, because it was
passworded!! How do I access this folder?? I know the password, but can't
seem to change permissions, because I am not the original administrator!!

I'm at a loss, the data is not all that critical, but just a nusiance to
research and modify the older files!!

What can be done?

chuth@acenet.net.au

"Huthy - XP Dilemnas" <Huthy - XP
Dilemnas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anybody,
>
> Motherboard decided to finally give itself up over the weekend,
> so Iurchased
> a new motherboard, and new hard-drive, with the intention of
> using the old
> drive as a spare, after transferring the appropriate files
> accross to an
> external drive for storage.
>
> My problem was that I can't log on to the drive using the
> standard windows
> boot up. It wants to start in safe mode, but just resets itself
> continuoisly.
>
> I did install XP Pro onto the new drive, then added the old
> drive as a
> slave, which gives access to all but one user folder, because
> it was
> passworded!! How do I access this folder?? I know the password,
> but can't
> seem to change permissions, because I am not the original
> administrator!!
>
> I'm at a loss, the data is not all that critical, but just a
> nusiance to
> research and modify the older files!!
>
> What can be done?
>
> chuth@acenet.net.au

You need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here for the
procedure:

Nepatsfan