XP needs activation, but says already activated when I try to activate! - What's going on here?

skywatch

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
HI,

XP home edition was activated and copied to a new HDD as the old one had errors and was in need of replacement. So far no problem.

Now when I boot I get a message that says XP needs to be activated within x days. I click the activation button only to be told windows is already activated! - This cycle repeats every reboot and I am running out of 'days' left to fix it.

Can anyone here help me out? I still have the original XP disk and am located in the EU.

Thanks.

skywatch

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Drive was cloned using easeus backup I think (was a few weeks ago). The old drive had bearings that were noisy and causing some problems.

I also took the opportunity to update all the drivers as we are all told that this should be done to avoid any issues and give it a good clean of heatsinks and fans etc.

The PC is my Dads and he is not on the internet and only uses it occasionally (he's 85 and not in the best of health) so I brought it home to update the drivers etc. for him.

It's really odd. It tells me to activate it and when I click OK, it says it is already activated. Something inside maybe not talking to something else?