JAS

I am attempting to network two home PC(s), both running XP Home editions, and
I could definitely use some assistance. I tried to accomplish this task
alone, along with reading materials; however, I was unsuccessful and is now
somewhat stumped. My current hardware environment:

- Dell laptop w/ wireless network card
- Dell PC hardwired to router
- Cable Modem
- Netgear Wireless Router

To make my situation easier, and fully susceptible to assistance, I have no
problem with reloading either system from scratch (if need be) and proceeding
step-by-step. Please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

You need to be specific about what problems you're encountering.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

On 16/11/2004 JAS wrote:

> I am attempting to network two home PC(s), both running XP Home
> editions, and I could definitely use some assistance. I tried to
> accomplish this task alone, along with reading materials; however, I
> was unsuccessful and is now somewhat stumped. My current hardware
> environment:
>
> - Dell laptop w/ wireless network card
> - Dell PC hardwired to router
> - Cable Modem
> - Netgear Wireless Router
>
> To make my situation easier, and fully susceptible to assistance, I
> have no problem with reloading either system from scratch (if need
> be) and proceeding step-by-step. Please, any assistance would be
> greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JAS

Take it step by step, wireless networks confuse the gurus at times :)

Start with the hard wired PC. I haven't used a Netgear router but most
of them have a set up facility, often accessed by a web page. Check the
documentation for its address, my Linksys is:

http://192.168.1.1

If I type this address into a browser a dialog pops up asking for a
user name and password, can you do something like this with the Netgear?

Check the Netgear docs for this address and try and log on to the set
up utility.

One frequent problem is that Windows will allocate an IP address to
your PC that doesn't match the router. Go to Control Panel, double
click on Network Connections and you should see an entry for 'Local
Network Connection', right click that and select 'Properties' and
anothe dialog will appear. You should see an entry for Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP), highlight this and click on the 'Properties' button.
Yet anothe dialog will appear. For now select 'Use the following IP
address', this will allow you to put an IP address in manually. It is
important that this address is in the same range as the settings
address for the Netgear router. So if the Netgear uses, say,
192.168.1.1 then put an address of 192.168.1.2 in the dialog, then
click OK to close each dialog.

(If the Netgear uses 192.168.0.1 then use 192.168.0.2 in the dialog,
i.e. get the first three numbers the same but the last one must be
different).

You should now be able to log on to the Netgear and see the settings.

The next step will depend on how you want to use the Netgear and how
you connect to the Internet. If you connect to the Internet through
broadband or some type of always on connection you will want to use the
Netgear as a name server, if you connect via a dial up connection you
may want to use Windows Interent Connection Sharing.

Try the above, read the manual/leaflet that came with the Netgear, then
report back here telling us how you connect to the Internet and we'll
move on.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"JAS" <JAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to network two home PC(s), both running XP Home
>editions, and
> I could definitely use some assistance. I tried to accomplish this
> task
> alone, along with reading materials; however, I was unsuccessful and
> is now
> somewhat stumped. My current hardware environment:
>
> - Dell laptop w/ wireless network card
> - Dell PC hardwired to router
> - Cable Modem
> - Netgear Wireless Router
>
> To make my situation easier, and fully susceptible to assistance, I
> have no
> problem with reloading either system from scratch (if need be) and
> proceeding
> step-by-step. Please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank
> you.

TRENDING THREADS