XP not allowing me to install HP photosmart driver

Here's the error message (mispelling left intact):

The user account does not have the necessary privileges to add or
remove printer drivers to the system. The installeation cannot
proceed.

I do have admin privileges so this makes no sense whatsoever. What
else can cause this?

thanks.

"c" <barneytoe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Here's the error message (mispelling left intact):
>
> The user account does not have the necessary privileges to add or
> remove printer drivers to the system. The installeation cannot
> proceed.
>
> I do have admin privileges so this makes no sense whatsoever. What
> else can cause this?
>
> thanks.

Do you have SP2 installed? I have heard that printer driver installation
programs have a problem because of the method it uses to check for some DLL
support on the OS. In others words, you can install the drivers on SP1,
then update to SP2 and they continue to work, but if you first update to
SP2, then the installation fails.

Phil

"Philip Doragh" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in

> "c" <barneytoe@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Here's the error message (mispelling left intact):
>>
>> The user account does not have the necessary privileges to add or
>> remove printer drivers to the system. The installeation cannot
>> proceed.
>>
>> I do have admin privileges so this makes no sense whatsoever. What
>> else can cause this?

The HP site has a "patch" utility that claims to fix the 'priviledge'
issue. Maybe it will work for you.
Meanwhile I am having failure after failure installing a 7760 PhotoSmart
printer. No help from HP support so it may go back to them.

Ted

--
testing signature:
scherbe6