Question XP on LGA1155

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I am currently running LGA775 with both W10 and XP. I kept the XP on a separate partition for playing W98 era games on legacy hardware. My sound card with gameport works on W10 and the gameport works when booted in XP. Having MB issues and can replace it with a(same) working one but eventually I will need to move up to something not quite as old. Figured it was time to make a plan. Im not as concerned about Running W10, thats probably the easy part. Already aware that ufei is a potential problem as well as changing to SSD (though it dont know if that is an issue I am already running it on a SATA HD). I am looking at the chipset options and like the B75 boards due to the onboard/chip PCI controler (as opposed to a PCI to PCIe bridge) since XP needs or at least i need at least one PCI card. There are 2 Boards im looking at, one by Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V the other by Asus P8B75-V (as well as the M-LX) and still poking around so open to other suggestions. Would like to hear what experiences people have had especially if running one of those MBs with the B75 chip. If there are better ideas i would like to hear it.

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Current MB is Intel DG33FB(No OC possible). Q9650. 8gb Corsair PC2 6400/DDR2 800.
PCIe slot wont recognize any vid card put in it anymore. Was not sure if it was an issue caused by the PSU or an inter active GPU and PSU problem or interactive w/MB but I ended up with a dead GPU and a slot that isnt working right along with the Dual chanel on the memory not working.
Dedicated rig -> I dont have the room.

Too bad about the dying MB. Might just be various capacitors getting old. There is one OC possible that would work for XP.
The E7500 2 core with a tapemod to 3.67Ghz. 11x266fsb to 11x333fsb.
You might look intp Lga 1366. Same era as 1155 but 3 channel Ram and some fast Xeons. 4C/8T and 6C/12T CPUs for some VM possibilities.

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
No visual signs of Cap problems, but that doesnt mean there isnt something going on inside those things. I have not explored 1366. 1155 has been the one most suggested as being viable that will let me keep a foot in the past and the future the longest. Not an OCr. All those old games from the W98 era would be out run by most modern hardware and i dont play anything newer.

Last edited:
1156 was the same era as 1366, 1155 is newer and has AVX support. So it probably is better..
There are some Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs with 4 channel RAM support. But you have to get into LGA2011 to get them.
Old workstations are one way to do that.

Are you into Grand Prix Legends (1998)? The Targa Florio patch is epic. I liked XP also.

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I have GP3, Nascar Heat and a whole bunch of EA sports racing games. I have an old controller, a Joy rider pro that sets up 4 ways, has pedals and can convert to a flight yoke for my old never updated MS Flight Simulator that has the WTC Twin Towers.

GPL still has a following. Steep learning curve. The cars were set up wrong (too low) as they came. But the community has made tracks and carsets that are amazing. It was a failure commmercially. Maybe because if your laptimes weren't better than Jim Clark, or Phil Hill you didn't win a race. The developer of GPL has moved on to iRacing. Nurburgring 1967 was included in the original, 14 miles a lap. But the community from maps and old photos recreated the open road race Targa Florio. 45 miles/lap. with only one straightaway. 567 turns though.
http://srmz.net/tracks/targa/page02.html
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=GPL+Targa+Florio&t=chromentp&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmzi966Was4
The FFB is real, not canneded effects. The Mount Everest of retro racing sims.
BTW as your lap times improve the AI robots get faster too!
The prefered controller was a Thrustmaster Formuls FFB (Red Version) cable drive wheel. There was a ball bearing conversion to get the most out of the FFB. But the pedals were crap.

Last edited:

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I just found this track added June 2019 isle of man 37.75 miles/lap
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqkjHlBVvDM
A college buddy of mine who now lives 1300 miles away was raised on some racing. His dad worked for a tire company and they went often growing up. When we met, his father had passes to most any race at Watkins Glen and we spent many summer weekends there, Can Am F1...Then he moved. Then we retired. We go to Nascar at the Glen every year now. Looking to explore a couple other races too, but one thing on his list is Motorcycle races at Isle of Mann. Ive taken a look, the travel and stay are a logistical nightmare not to mention very costly.

I was a corner worker at Daytona 24 hr. and Sebring 12hr. a few times Miami GP too while it lasted. My father Flagged every Sebring from 1957 into the 1980s., most of the Daytona races and a few Road Atlanta. GPL has the 1967 Sebring track ,and the cars I saw race there as a kid in 1967.
Part of the reason GPL failed was a 233MMX really couldn't run it, and that was king of the hill when it was released.
Buy GPL a beer. It's old enough to drink now.
It was originally a 3DFX Glide game. Needs a patch to run DirectX.
AMD K6III+ 400 (L3 cache) and Voodoo 5500 AGP handled it pretty well though.
With all the high res carskins and trackests you could probaly run this old relic on modern hardware and be retro at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilcal

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I was a corner worker at Daytona 24 hr. and Sebring 12hr. a few times Miami GP too while it lasted. My father Flagged every Sebring from 1957 into the 1980s., most of the Daytona races and a few Road Atlanta. GPL has the 1967 Sebring track ,and the cars I saw race there as a kid in 1967.
Part of the reason GPL failed was a 233MMX really couldn't run it, and that was king of the hill when it was released.
Buy GPL a beer. It's old enough to drink now.
It was originally a 3DFX Glide game. Needs a patch to run DirectX.
AMD K6III+ 400 (L3 cache) and Voodoo 5500 AGP handled it pretty well though.
With all the high res carskins and trackests you could probaly run this old relic on modern hardware and be retro at the same time.
I had a voodo agp card back in the day!

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Too bad about the dying MB. Might just be various capacitors getting old. There is one OC possible that would work for XP.
The E7500 2 core with a tapemod to 3.67Ghz. 11x266fsb to 11x333fsb.
You might look intp Lga 1366. Same era as 1155 but 3 channel Ram and some fast Xeons. 4C/8T and 6C/12T CPUs for some VM possibilities.
So i have been looking around alot. Recently looking at LGA1156, the 1366 is rare enough to make stuff expensive. The GA p55a ud3 MB looks like a winner, the drawback being its a dead end like what i have but could possibly do all i want for many good years to come.

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I have not really looked at any proprietary (dell/lenovo/HP) types of MBs as info seems hard to come by and i had pretty much guessed on the interchangeability. The other reason is they are all seem obsessed with small form factor. I am ATX mid tower all the way. If i could fit bigger in my desk cubby, i would go full. There is nothing like space in the box when trying to work in it, particularly at my age(66). It makes it easier to see things while you have your hands in there and get stuff in and out.
I also worried about the availability of updated bios and board drivers in the long run, but i suppose that it can all be down loaded and burned to a disk for safe keeping..

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I work with old Dell workstations. The LGA1366 T3500 can be had cheap. $100 for a whole system. But not a lot of parts interchangeability with what you already have. Not small either, mid tower case. But not everyone is comfortable with going rogue.
So i did some searching based on what you cited. Learned that i am not putting a Dell MB for a t3500 in my case. Need to buy one all together and working. Found one for sale nearby under a hundred. What tweaks do you recommend if i buy this creature? I see this uses EEC server memory. best to fill all 6 slots? Are the PCI slots regular PCI or are they an odd size? I need at least one normal PCI slot. Anything else i need to be aware off if i venture into this alternative?

You don't have to use ECC RAM. It's just expected for serious workstation purposes. Keeep it 3 channel.
PCI slots are normal. After market PSU can be used if they have enough on the 5V. rail. Dell ran the wiring harness behind the MB. you may want to pull the wires out form behind if you want to swap that later. be sure you get one with the heatpipe CPU cooler, not the aluminum chunk the low powered CPUs came with.
Here's what people are running in those.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Precision-WorkStation-T3500--/2522
It actually doesn't use RDIMM Server RAM. Regular DDR3 1333 UDIMMs ECC or not will work.

Last edited:

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
You don't have to use ECC RAM. It's just expected for serious workstation purposes. Keeep it 3 channel.
PCI slots are normal. After market PSU can be used if they have enough on the 5V. rail. Dell ran the wiring harness behind the MB. you may want to pull the wires out form behind if you want to swap that later. be sure you get one with the heatpipe CPU cooler, not the aluminum chunk the low powered CPUs came with.
Here's what people are running in those.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Precision-WorkStation-T3500--/2522
It actually doesn't use RDIMM Server RAM. Regular DDR3 1333 UDIMMs ECC or not will work.
Thanks for this info. To run three chanel do i need to fill all 6 slots/ what best to do that?

3 matching modules will do, 3x4GB would be good. for 12GB. ECC can be cheaper. It takes up one extra clock cycle for the data checking. But with 3 channel it's still fast. You need to fill the slots in sets of 3 modules, not in pairs. That's the advantage LGA1366 has over other systems that age.

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Thanks for this info. To run three chanel do i need to fill all
3 matching modules will do, 3x4GB would be good. for 12GB. ECC can be cheaper. It takes up one extra clock cycle for the data checking. But with 3 channel it's still fast. You need to fill the slots in sets of 3 modules, not in pairs. That's the advantage LGA1366 has over other systems that age.
I figured it was in threes not pairs for triple channel and am i better off with 6x2 or 3x4 or wont it make a difference?
I have a couple more questions if you dont mind...These came out with Windows 7 in them...will it run XP do you think?
I see the array of lights up front...do you think i can slip a floppy in there instaed?

The memory controller is on the CPU. The Nehalems will drop speed if you fill all the slots, the Westmeres won't. Lower end Xeons and i7 can only run 1066 speed RAM, The faster/newer Xeons go 1333 with all slots full. 48GB max.
Read the owner manual from Dell.com. The MB still has a floppy port. You could probably VM a couple threads for XP to run by itself.
The lights are diagnostic LEDs. That should have 2x FDD bays already there.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3500_service manual_en-us.pdf
Update your BIOS and chipset drivers to support newer CPUs and GPUs.
Dell Community Forum has several posts on running XP on the T3500.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Dell+T3500+windows+XP&t=chromentp&ia=web

Last edited:

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
The memory controller is on the CPU. The Nehalems will drop speed if you fill all the slots, the Westmeres won't. Lower end Xeons and i7 can only run 1066 speed RAM, The faster/newer Xeons go 1333 with all slots full. 48GB max.
Read the owner manual from Dell.com. The MB still has a floppy port. You could probably VM a couple threads for XP to run by itself.
The lights are diagnostic LEDs. That should have 2x FDD bays already there.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3500_service manual_en-us.pdf
Update your BIOS and chipset drivers to support newer CPUs and GPUs.
Dell Community Forum has several posts on running XP on the T3500.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Dell+T3500+windows+XP&t=chromentp&ia=web
When you say VM, you mean run it Virtual Machine?
I see 2 fullsize slots for exterior drives and i would have put a Bluray burner in one and a DVD driver in the other. So no spot for the floppy... I will need to explore running XP on this.

The manual shows a FDD connector on the MB and lists one 3.5 floppy bay. It may be filled with a media card reader, or have a cover plate with vent holes in it. The drive bays are called Flexbays and drives can be installed sideways for a desktop orientation with just a faceplate swap.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://microdream.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/v/sv_precn_t3400_angleview_front_1_2_1_1_3_1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
The older T3400 had 2x FDD bays, they went to one on the T3500, but it is there.

Hate to bump an older thread, but I wanted to share some of my experience. You can easily run xp on the lga1155 platform as well and the i7-2600k and 3770k make for enough performance for w10 too if you want to dual boot especially since you can easily run 16gb of ram.

And the Dells are great for this too--I've got an optiplex 990 that ran xp nicely as well as some volstro units that do too. Obviously, the extra ram won't be useful in xp, but might help with a high-ram gpu. And you can easily tell which dells will run xp because they will still have xp drivers listed in support. :) HP is pretty good about this too as I can run xp on my z420 that has 256GB of ram and my dual x5650 z600 with 96gb of ram.

Reactions: Wilcal

TRENDING THREADS