XP: print spooler file

Ed8r

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I need an XP file "spoolsv.exe." Yes, I've already looked in both system32 and i386 folders. The file is entirely missing from my computer.

(Yes. I did something stupid.)

Ed8r

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

I don't think it's the printer driver (i.e., an HP file, in this case) It is part of Windows XP.
(But since I'm really not a techie at all, I couldn't tell you definitively.)

Ed8r

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

Really? I have to air my dirty laundry? :( I'm pretty sure I deleted it myself, trying to make room on my harddrive, removing things I didn't recognize.:ouch:

Meanwhile, when I try to print, I receive an error message saying the Print Spooler Service is not Running. BUT when I go to services and click on Start, I receive an error message saying the file cannot be found. So then, I go look for the file itself in the folders I mentioned, and indeed, the exe file does not exist.

Ed8r

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I thought someone here might be able to give me the file I need, but meanwhile, I continued to search for it online. Sure enough, I finally asked the search engine the right question and after a few more unsuccessful results, I opened a link that took me to a page on which someone had explained IN DETAIL how to get the Spooler Service restored. In my case, I already knew it did not exist in either Windows folder, so running scandisk would not (did not) restore it.

But I found a site that provided the file I needed; I took the chance on downloading an unsigned file; I installed the file in my Windows 32 folder and the service started itself! Yippee!!! :bounce:

Then I figured out how to reinstall my printer, too. So I'm good to go.