LethaL_ImpuLse

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Sorry if this has been asked before. I am planning on building a new computer next week so I had to dig up my old 2002 version of XP Pro. The thing is that it is an Upgrade version. Maybe I'm just stupid, but will I be able to use this to boot up and install Windows or will I have to buy a new version? Thanks in advance.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The upgrade disk does contain all you need for a full install. You'll only need a full version of Windows 98, Win2K, or XP Home to insert briefly so Windows can verify you have it to qualify to use upgrade disk. You can boot up with your disk, it's just that early on it will ask you to insert a disk with a qualifying previous version of Windows.

Gees

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Hey, i have an upgrade version too, and no you do not need a previous version of windows, there are two ways you can do this.

1. The easy way: download the windows xp startup disks, 6 disks, just make sure you use home version for home, and pro version for pro, which are available on microsofts homepage but are a pain i the ass to find, or you can go here.

2. Slightly less easier way: you can go here and actually create a bootable windows cd if you have a cd burner. Pretty easy to make took me about 15 min, and you don't have to go to the trouble of updating a whole lot of service packs, since you can make service pack 2 ready.

If you have any questions i'll be glad to help.

Powerdog_69er

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Now I might be totally wrong on this, but someone like Zoron could step in and confirm it...But if you installed a version [yours was 2002 XP Pro] of XP in a system, then activated it... you will not be able to use that XP disc in a different system and then activate it.
I know that I added two Raptors and reinstalled the OS... I ended up calling MS to activate it... because it was different hardware... the person asked me [actually told me] that I had new drives and I said "Yes"... then he activated it for me afterwards...otherwise I wouldn't had been able to use it... from what he said.

Usually, no... you can't activate the same copy of Windows on multiple computers. With retail products, you can upgrade as much as you like... but you may have to call in to get an activation code. With OEM, MS has changed it's policy and you now have to purchase a new OEM copy or lie and say you replaced your motherboard cause the old one died... ;)