XP PRO X64 Crashes -- winsrv not found

Tzakuk

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I recently installed XP X64 on my Core2 Duo machine and have had terrible troubles with crashes after installing SP2 and updates. Microsoft KB885523 discribes the problem, but uninstalling SP2 causes fatal exceptions, and the patch they supply can not be installed on an x64 platform. Aside from having troubles finding drivers, I am finding that there is little or no support for XP Pro X64. Has anyone else encountered this problem; is there a fix?? Help!

ferdia6

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
you have picked the worst of the worse Operating Systems it seems.... unfortunately xp64bit may have been a **** test thing for the new 64bit apps that microsoft have forgotten about just now, as far as i know, they are probably investing more effort in getting support and divers for the vista 64bit, which as also ****....
i have been looking at the posts recently, and after reading horror stories, i'm not touching xp or vista 64bit for at least 2 years.

why bother with it? do you even have any 64bit applications? or do you have like 6gig ram or something?

i was very tempted to get 64bit in a new machine, to future proof it a bit, but jesus, after reading 20plus reasons not to i think i'll pay the extra 100 odd quid on upgrading to 64bit when there is good cause to, untill then why bother...

that has completely not answered your question, sorry. just needed to vent my frustration with annoying unanswerable questions that i myself have been asking about vista and xp 64bit............waste of time...