XP service pack, Download able...

jeevan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

Hi,

I have a Win XP Pro CD which is pretty old.
From the warning dialogs I guess it is missing the service
packs - It offers to download off the net but I cannot
offord the dialup costs involved.

Is it possible to download it from some site and then
simply execute the EXE at home on my desktop.

tia

| "Jeevan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Message news:575601c48123$5199aa00$a501280a@phx.gbl
| I have a Win XP Pro CD which is pretty old.
| From the warning dialogs I guess it is missing the service
| packs - It offers to download off the net but I cannot
| offord the dialup costs involved.
|
| Is it possible to download it from some site and then
| simply execute the EXE at home on my desktop.

It is possible to download the full network installation package
of Windows XP Service Pack 2 from the following Web Site.

Microsoft TechNet
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

But, of course, "dialup costs" will still be involved just as
there are when "It offers to download off the net". BTW, at my
usual dial-up speed of 45.2 Kbps, the estimated time for download
is 18 hours and 15 minutes!

You will be able to order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD when it
becomes available later this summer. For more information see
the following Microsoft Web Site:

Microsoft Windows XP
Downloads | Software Updates
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Use BitTorrent and get the XP Service Pack 2 torrent (look
for it on google)

I got in 4 hrs that way!

Good Luck

jeevan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

I do not intend to use dialup to download.

I intend to download at work over T1, Carry the
installable on a JumpDrive and install at home.

BTW, got the Sp2, network version.