XP SP2 Installation Woes

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I've tried twice in 8 months to install SP2 on an older motherboard.
Once installed, the computer flashes this message: an RPC Termination
window with 60 second countdown. I am 100% sure this is not a virus or
trojan. I think the problem is the Bios.

Both times, I've had to reformat and re-install because of the
uninstall feature would not properly remove SP2.

I've called Microsoft SP2 Technical support. Unfortunately, they have
few suggestions for me. They suggested a Safe Mode install of SP2.

The Bios on this MB isDR742E Bios Ver: 1.00.19. The computer is a 900
mhz Micron PC (Millennia RS2100). I have found Bios Ver. 1.00.35. but
have not flashed the Bios.

I'm looking for some guidance before I try this for the 3rd time! Dang
I hate to reinstall everything again ... 10-12 hours of work over
several days. Perhaps I should just live with SP1?

Thanks in advance.

The RPC Shutdown 60 Second timeout is usually caused by Worms (Remember
Blaster and Sasser Worms). The bare minimum requirement is to enable the
Windows XP firewall before connecting to the internet (even before you
Activate your copy of Windows XP)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> I've tried twice in 8 months to install SP2 on an older motherboard.
> Once installed, the computer flashes this message: an RPC Termination
> window with 60 second countdown. I am 100% sure this is not a virus or
> trojan. I think the problem is the Bios.
>
> Both times, I've had to reformat and re-install because of the
> uninstall feature would not properly remove SP2.
>
> I've called Microsoft SP2 Technical support. Unfortunately, they have
> few suggestions for me. They suggested a Safe Mode install of SP2.
>
> The Bios on this MB isDR742E Bios Ver: 1.00.19. The computer is a 900
> mhz Micron PC (Millennia RS2100). I have found Bios Ver. 1.00.35. but
> have not flashed the Bios.
>
> I'm looking for some guidance before I try this for the 3rd time! Dang
> I hate to reinstall everything again ... 10-12 hours of work over
> several days. Perhaps I should just live with SP1?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If it a worm, you should also run a antispyware software before updating.
http://www.lavasoft.com

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The RPC Shutdown 60 Second timeout is usually caused by Worms (Remember
> Blaster and Sasser Worms). The bare minimum requirement is to enable the
> Windows XP firewall before connecting to the internet (even before you
> Activate your copy of Windows XP)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried twice in 8 months to install SP2 on an older motherboard.
> > Once installed, the computer flashes this message: an RPC Termination
> > window with 60 second countdown. I am 100% sure this is not a virus or
> > trojan. I think the problem is the Bios.
> >
> > Both times, I've had to reformat and re-install because of the
> > uninstall feature would not properly remove SP2.
> >
> > I've called Microsoft SP2 Technical support. Unfortunately, they have
> > few suggestions for me. They suggested a Safe Mode install of SP2.
> >
> > The Bios on this MB isDR742E Bios Ver: 1.00.19. The computer is a 900
> > mhz Micron PC (Millennia RS2100). I have found Bios Ver. 1.00.35. but
> > have not flashed the Bios.
> >
> > I'm looking for some guidance before I try this for the 3rd time! Dang
> > I hate to reinstall everything again ... 10-12 hours of work over
> > several days. Perhaps I should just live with SP1?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

My advice was to help the OP prevent any Worm attacks during the post
installation phase. Anti-spyware and anti-virus tools are of course
necessary, but they come into play once the system is infected.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Nicoliani" <Nicoliani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If it a worm, you should also run a antispyware software before updating.
> http://www.lavasoft.com
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> The RPC Shutdown 60 Second timeout is usually caused by Worms (Remember
>> Blaster and Sasser Worms). The bare minimum requirement is to enable the
>> Windows XP firewall before connecting to the internet (even before you
>> Activate your copy of Windows XP)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "<----- Which Way ----->" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > I've tried twice in 8 months to install SP2 on an older motherboard.
>> > Once installed, the computer flashes this message: an RPC Termination
>> > window with 60 second countdown. I am 100% sure this is not a virus or
>> > trojan. I think the problem is the Bios.
>> >
>> > Both times, I've had to reformat and re-install because of the
>> > uninstall feature would not properly remove SP2.
>> >
>> > I've called Microsoft SP2 Technical support. Unfortunately, they have
>> > few suggestions for me. They suggested a Safe Mode install of SP2.
>> >
>> > The Bios on this MB isDR742E Bios Ver: 1.00.19. The computer is a 900
>> > mhz Micron PC (Millennia RS2100). I have found Bios Ver. 1.00.35. but
>> > have not flashed the Bios.
>> >
>> > I'm looking for some guidance before I try this for the 3rd time! Dang
>> > I hate to reinstall everything again ... 10-12 hours of work over
>> > several days. Perhaps I should just live with SP1?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:21:22 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>My advice was to help the OP prevent any Worm attacks during the post
>installation phase. Anti-spyware and anti-virus tools are of course
>necessary, but they come into play once the system is infected.

Turns out I have an ACPI problem in with the Bios. So I need to get
that up-to-dated if I want to install SP2. Thanks for the thoughts.