XP Users Aren't Really Jumping on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Eh, Windows 7 was just released a few weeks ago. One can hardly expect a massive upgrade in such a short time. Besides, unless users have upgraded their hardware and carried over their old XP, it's likely that they will want to upgrade their hardware first.

I happen to fall into that category. While my current machine can run Windows 7 without trouble, I want to wait until I have my new gaming rig before I go through all the trouble of a new OS installation.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'll keep running XP until Win 7 makes it to SP1. That's only another year. By then, I will be able to upgrade my pc to better specs. Until then, XP runs just fine.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'll keep running Xp until Win 7 SP1 comes out. My system runs just fine right now. Win 7 is a bunch of hype. I still don't like how much resources it takes up but by then, I can afford a newer system with 8 gigs of memory.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well they will switch when their OS isn't supported then hackers take advantage of MS not patching their old operating system.

I agree that it is still too early to say about Win 7 give it 6 months, by that time you will see a lot more people switching over.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]marsax73[/nom]I'll keep running Xp until Win 7 SP1 comes out. My system runs just fine right now. Win 7 is a bunch of hype. I still don't like how much resources it takes up but by then, I can afford a newer system with 8 gigs of memory.[/citation]

Are you serious 8 gigs of memory? If you have read any previous articles on the topic you really only need 3 gigs of memory heck 4 at the most. Win 7 has a lot better memory management over XP so programs don't just go hog wild on the memory and bleed the OS dry.

lutel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I'll stick to Windows XP until M$ release operating system without DRM which was designed AGAINST user not FOR user.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
I have hard time justifying the cost to move to Win7 and the benefits I don't already have. I only use comp to browse, chat and play games (most people do those) and am already doing at comfortable speed/performance. If my WinXP croaks, I just reinstall. Problem solved. 90% of the time.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]Are you serious 8 gigs of memory? If you have read any previous articles on the topic you really only need 3 gigs of memory heck 4 at the most. Win 7 has a lot better memory management over XP so programs don't just go hog wild on the memory and bleed the OS dry.[/citation]

Maybe 8 gigs is a bit much but who would of thought 4 gigs would be standard? XP ran happily with 1-2 gigs. Plus if you are getting 64 bit, you might as well get at least 6 gigs and take advantage of the added memory. Windows 8 is right around the corner and who knows what garbage will be running in the background by then.

Darth_Kaar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
In fact Windows 7 doesn't offer me any new fuctionality. Sure it has DirectX 11, but I got strong feeling, that this API will share the same fate as DX 10 (at least for some time)- which became a marketing slogan, nothing more. Directcomputing? That feature won't appear in mainstream programs for another year or two, until 7 gains significant share in the market. And there are always compatibility issues with hardware under 7.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Unless you're an enthusiast, the upgrade would have to solve a problem you have with the old system or provide new functionality. While I am in the first group and upgraded to "7" x64 2 days after release, there are many users that don't even use XP to its potential and sure wouldn't gain much from the upgrade, other than having to learn their way around. For them it's an unnecessary expense and a risk of running into upgrade trouble, not to mention the confusion the redesigned interface will cause to casual users. (Better or not, if it's not where it used to be, many users quickly get lost.)

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Only reason I haven't upgraded is I'm saving up for the Ultimate 64bit version. I may get premium though... I can get it through school for $29.

xiiifigs

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Hello Kevin, do you mind sharing with us when you would be willing to upgrade to 7? How about an article on this? I know it might be hard but I think it would be useful to know THG's experience with 7 given the variety of hardware you handle.

xiiifigs

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]reddozen[/nom]Only reason I haven't upgraded is I'm saving up for the Ultimate 64bit version. I may get premium though... I can get it through school for $29.[/citation]
Why not try it for $29 and then seeing if Ultimate is worth it? If you don't like it at least you won't have lost that much more!

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I agree that it is a little wierd that 4 gigs is standard nowadays but then again who would have thought that needing anything over 20GB of harddrive space would be standard. It's the old attage "Who could want any more than that!?" Personally I think 4GB (or 6GB if you have a i7) is plenty enough to run all your programs, I think what it is is that they want to give you at least some extra space for the future. Instead of what Vista had as running the bare minimum then when you throw a few programs on it the memory just gets eaten up.

Pretty much everyone is running blind because we are running into so much advancement in hardware that we still have no conception on what the requirements of tomorrow software will be.

I guess I have to retract my previous statement on 8 gigs of memory then, because heck if you only build a rig every 4 to 5 years 8GB of ram will definately get you there for the forseeable future.

Main reason I switched between XP and 7 was that I was sick of XP always locking up for a few minutes before it could figure out that the program I was running was dead and just hogging resources. Vista was good at seeing this as well but I do like the refinement of 7. That and I can pretty much get rid of any system or "feature" that I don't like.

I agree that until there is a need for a new OS that many people won't stray however I do think the economy does play a big role on how fast people will switch, especially because the majority of people who will switch will be buying new systems with Win 7 on it rather than buying the OS by itself.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bfstev[/nom]The big "surge" will be when bussinesses start to pick it up. That probably wont be until sp1.[/citation]

I see a lot of businesses that I deal with starting to make the switch. They want the extra security but were not happy with all the bad publicity that Vista was recieving. That being said usually a few months after the first service pack comes out will most businesses switch over after proper testing has been done.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
W7 is what Vista should of been but based on the comments, sounds like some of you are rehashing the problems Vista had at launch. M$ learned from their mistakes with Vista and W7 was beta tested for quite awhile. I've been running it since before the RC. W7 doesn't have the driver issues Vista had at launch. The only drivers you really have to install are for your video card if you game (if you don't wanna run M$ generic Nvidia/Ati drivers that is). Go ahead and ride the XP boat until M$ stops supporting it.

Stay behind the times with your mid 2000's computer and mentality where it's "safe". Heaven forbid if you have to learn something new that could possibly improve your work related life as well (in IT).

Status
Not open for further replies.