Question XPS 8300 & MSI 980 No fan spin & card gets hot

KLund1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2016
Hi
I'm upgrading an old Dell XPS 8300. It is running Win 10 just fine from an SSD.
I was able to stuff a MSI nvindia 980 in to the case. It is working.
But the fans do not spin up. The card gets very hot after about 5 minutes after boot.
I'm not gamer or overclocker, so I do not know much about video card settings.
I looked in the driver application near the lower left by the clock and there was nothing about fans. Unless I missed something, and that is quit possible.
When the system boots the fans are going, but just before it gets to the desktop the fans stop and do not start up again.
I have only a 6-pin power connector into the 8-pin connector. But since the card is working, is this a problem?
Thanks for some input on this.

Lutfij

Titan
The case does hold a nostalgic factor but the innards are horrible, as it lacks proper airflow/ventilation. When you're stuffing heatware in there, you're either asking for them to die prematurely or looking for an excuse to buy a new system.

What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? What card were you working with prior to the GTX980? Which 980 are you working with?

KLund1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks everyone!
That link in post #2 is very close to what I have.
But mine is a 2G no 4G LE
The card this is attempting to replace is a Pegatron HD5670DE that has a dead fan. I think this is the XPS's OEM card,
The PSU is an Antic Basic 650w, I got it about 5 years ago as new old stock. It does not have many hours use. Maybe 100 hours.
I have replaced the 1 small case fan, and added another.
I just think it is odd that the MSI GPU fans do not rev up when the card gets hot.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
I've seen the reverse on a Dell XPS 8100 in which the OEM HD5770 would spin up to max speed during bootup and then act normal in Windows. After a catastrophic hard drive failure, the GPU fan would max out for 5 minutes before the PC would shut down. Inserting an HD4850 in the machine bypassed the fan problem and I was able to reinstall Windows. IIRC, PSU test came out normal. There's something finnicky about these machines and their graphics. With that said, given that you only have a 6-pin connector on the PSU and the card is looking for 8-pin, that is a huge issue. 8-pin means the card wants more power and you're not supplying it.

KLund1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks
I ordered a 6 to 8 pin adapter. It should arrive later today. Maybe that is what this card needs.
But I have not done any gaming on this machine. Just installed win10 and installed drivers. So I have not pushed this card.
But it should not get too hot to touch the exposed heat pipes, and not have the fans going.
I'll report back with the adapter installed.