Question XPS 8700 Motherboard.

Jun 25, 2024
My XPS 8700 needs a new motherboard. Current board is DP/N 0KWVT8 CN-0KWVT8-72200-466-01OD-A03. How important is it to find an exact match to this ID?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...her-dell-motherboard/647f98bbf4ccf8a8debe3fa7
Is one such thread that can come in handy in case you want to drop in something that's concurrent into that chassis. There are a couple of issues with dropping something post-4th Gen platforms into that case, since the case the XPS 8700 uses isn't that good with ventilation but you should be able to drop in an aftermarket matx motherboard, provided you have an aftermarket ATX/SFX PSU to work with as well.

One more thing, a new motherboard would also mean a new license key for your OS.

Jun 25, 2024
I have already replaced this PC with an XPS8960. I'm trying to resurrect the XPS8700 to use as a backup/spare. I have been able to find motherboards on eBay that are ALMOST identical, the last few digits not matching. Holy Cow, a new license key? Is it even possible to get one anymore? PC came with Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can still buy Windows 10, yes.

How much are you looking to spend? Some pretty cheap hardware out there that is leaps ahead of a 4th gen chip.

That board uses standard mATX, so the old PSU is capable of powering a newer board, up to a point. Best to replace it anyway given its age. Even has a replaceable rear I/O shield, designed to be user serviceable for once.

At a certain point, you are probably just better off picking up the cheapest late model i3 based desktop.

Reactions: punkncat
Jun 25, 2024
OK, the sequence of events went like this. As a photographer, I wanted to run Topaz AI software, but my machine didn't meet the specs. I thought I could just buy some RAM and a better GPU (Radeon RX550) and get off cheap. While I was at it, I also bought a 2TB SSD. It worked for a while, but odd things started happening: BSOD, freeze ups, boot loops, etc. I have run diagnostics on every component but the motherboard. They all passed. These days I usually can't even get it to boot, and if it does it runs great for a few minutes and then locks up again. I'm running Topaz on the new XPS8960 now, so all I need the old one for is printing bank statements (no Windows 11 driver for my old printer) and letting my granddaughter surf Sponge Bob and Blippy. Thanks for the advice, really, but with all due respect, I still need an answer about the mobo ID. I'll factor in the finances when I know what my options are.

As an FYI you could go to Dell.com and off there site you can download what OS's were released for your PC by putting in your service tag and get the ISO.

If by chance windows 10 is not listed for your XPS 8900 put in the service tag for your XPS 8960 and see if it does have a Windows 10 ISO download.

I will almost bet the ISO will load Windows 10 registered onto your XPS 8900 No harm trying with a $30.00 SSD from amazon if needed.

To answer your question about perfect matches with what version the motherboard have as to just booting or not I have had really good luck with Dells shifting parts around.

The information I put about is IF you get stuck and need a back up plan for windows 10

Jun 25, 2024
Yes, I changed the battery. I have tried replacing old parts one by one and sometimes it seems to work, but a few days later it's the same old song. None of the "fixes" are repeatable. Sometimes even the BIOS settings change by themselves.