Question High GPU temperatures when gaming ?

Jun 28, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with my Lenovo Ideapad 3 14iML05 laptop equipped with an
NVIDIA GeForce MX330 GPU. When playing Honkai Star Rail, the GPU temperature quickly rises to 92 degrees Celsius in less than 2 minutes. This issue wasn't present when I first purchased the laptop but has persisted for some time now.

Laptop Model: Lenovo Ideapad 3 14iML05

Specs:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-10210U
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX330
Issue at Hand:

• GPU temperature reaching 92°C shortly after starting Honkai Star Rail.
  • GPU utilization peaks at 83%.
  • GPU driver: 30.0.14.7219 (dated 23/09/2021).
  • In-game settings: Low, as I am aware that my laptop isn't designed for gaming.
Steps Taken So Far:
  • Explored various forums and tried different solutions but haven't found a resolution.
I would greatly appreciate any advice or solutions from the community here. Has anyone encountered similar issues with their laptop's GPU? Are there specific settings or adjustments I could make to reduce GPU temperatures while gaming?
Thank you very much for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Explored various forums and tried different solutions but haven't found a resolution
You might want to elaborate on what you tired instead of vaguely stating you're tried things. Have you tried changing the thermal paste and pads on your laptop's cooling solution? Tried undervolting? Checked to see what your system usages are when you've booted to OS GUI, while idle?

The last thing would be to try a laptop with a beefier GPU/CPU and see if the issue persists, if so then your laptop isn't meant to be used as a gaming laptop and you're crippling it.

I will be honest I'm not a big fan of gaming on laptops and heat and performance are a big issue.

But that said I have helped and fixed many heat issues for other gamers who like the laptop as a gaming rig.

This issue wasn't present when I first purchased the laptop but has persisted for some time now.
It's always like Lutfij suggested change the thermal paste.

Use a flash light shining tight up to the intake fan on the bottom of the laptop than look hard into where the hot air is blown out on the side or sometimes back of case.

If you can see the light from flashlight coming through all the heatsink fins as you move your eye to view into that exhaust port than we know your heat is or is not due to build up of dust bunnies and hair.

The last thing is lifting laptop up on something to increase air flow between bottom of laptop to table.

And there is an external exhaust fan that seems to help off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/IETS-Tempera...f0c4b193adca1e49f737934ae81&gad_source=1&th=1

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024
I would suggest trying to dust out the vents and fans first before attempting to replace the thermal paste. I'm not sure when you purchased the laptop, but since this model was released in 2023, the thermal paste should still be effective. While it's possible it may need to be changed, Lenovo typically uses quality thermal paste.

I also agree that lifting the laptop to improve airflow could be beneficial. The environment where you use your laptop can make a difference in temperatures.

Another thing to consider is that the game you're playing was also released in 2023 and may have had updates since then. Your graphics driver might also be out of date; the latest Nvidia driver for the MX330, version 556.12, was released on June 27, 2024.

You should also check for updates using the Lenovo Vantage app and the Windows updater. The Vantage app provides updates for BIOS and other system components. I use the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to check for specific Intel updates, but you might not need to do that.

TRENDING THREADS