Question XPS 8940 power supply not working

Jul 3, 2024
Hi Everyone
I have a Dell XPS 8940 which the power supply died in a power surge. I got a new power supply which had a higher wattage (500 instead of 360) which lit up then no power then the light died and wont go back on so I tried a 360 PSU and same thing. My questions are.
1. Could it be the MOBO?
2. Is there a tester that tests PSU without the 20/24 pin (I tried to use this one but it says it needs a 20/24 pin)
Thank you for your time.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just curious, did you make sure the white connectors exiting the PSU were hooked up to the motherboard and not the black one?

1| It could be posisble you fried the motherboard
2| That PSU has proprietary connectors, unless you're adept with a multimeter, no there's no way to tell if the PSU was faulty out of the box.

Jul 3, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just curious, did you make sure the white connectors exiting the PSU were hooked up to the motherboard and not the black one?

1| It could be posisble you fried the motherboard
2| That PSU has proprietary connectors, unless you're adept with a multimeter, no there's no way to tell if the PSU was faulty out of the box.
Yes i made sure that it was only the white ones as i was told that the black ones were for video.
1. From the power surge or from the tester?
2. I have used a multimeter awhile ago :) but thought maybe there is a power supply tester that doesn't need the 20/24 pin.
3. Is there a way to test the MOBO?
Thanks for your response.

TRENDING THREADS