Yahoo! Revamps Search, IM and Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'd think about using their software if I didn't already know that when I did, my computer would become infested with (Y!)'s at every possible opportunity I could see one.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Software? I thought it ran in your web browser only...

I say too little too late. Yahoo ought to work on INTEGRATING some of those other's services, instead of trying to create REPLACEMENTS.

Copy-cats.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
doctorpink,

For me, the appeal of gmail is free POP3 and IMAP. Yahoo! (spoken loudly, because, you know, there's an exclamation point in the name) charges something like $20/year for it.

And I've had better luck with gmail's spam filters. I've been a customer of yahoo since 1997 and gmail since 2004.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]why all the hype with gmail??? not that good to me...[/citation]

The interface whoops on even the best standalone apps like Outlook. The "threaded" messaging feature is absolutely beautiful. Combine that with free IMAP and POP3 support, support for importing your contacts from other web mail services and your OS of choice, integration with other google services like calendar and 8GB and growing free space. What's not to love? It's easily the best free email service out there and arguably better than paid apps like Outlook.

Oh, and you get a google search to find old mail.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
stradric is right. I forgot to mention google calendar integration. I sync my Outlook calendar at work with my google calendar, and then push my google calendar to my blackberry - Blackberry Enterprise Server ($50/month) avoided! All I have to do is set up Google Calendar Sync to run every hour or so, and I'm golden. I saved my company tons of money doing it this way, and they thanked me for it.

Doing this with yahoo costs money.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I have also noticed a significant decrease in load time since Yahoo started integrating all these add-ons. Gmail is still near instantaneous to load for me. Also, gmail's conversation threading is, in a word, brilliant. I wonder why the others haven't started doing that. Is that functionality copyrighted?

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
hemelskonijn, you mean you don't like those blaring netflix ads in your face? Again, upgrade to mail "Plus" for $20/year, and they'll remove much of this... Hm... I sense a pattern here.

All gmail does is hit you with a non-intrusive, bland-looking ad down the sidebar which can quite easily be hidden if you go a-searching for a script. Actually, I have found several of the ads quite helpful in the past.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
When I hear Google, I think of their superb search and Gmail webmail. When I hear Microsoft, I think of Windows and Office. When I hear Yahoo, all I can think of is how it costs $$ to do pop email (or is that free already?), and how that exclamation point after their name makes reading news articles about them a bit annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS