Question ya'll what is up with mini itx/sfx cases?

Oct 23, 2023
I have always been a midi/mid to large case guy.

I don't see the appeal with overheating a small box (depending on the use). I was hoping someone could at the very least elaborate on why style/size is important to them.

This is really more of an opinion question at the end of the day, but I don't get the opportunity to ask this outside of work for general purpose opinions.

ITX/SFX cases are designed for those that either want a minimalist footprint, want to create their own media server, or those that are into emulation. They can certainly be used for gaming setups (I've seen quite a few that are awesome looking) but it isn't for someone that wants to have a RTX 4090 running at full specs with liquid cooling.

It appeals to a certain type of builder/user.

Reactions: bequiet!Logan

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the use case and situation. Not every mini-ITX build is a 13900k and RTX 4090. Some are far more reasonable.

Portability and Size are big factors. People that don't want a portable gaming laptop (expensive, less performance) can carry around a small gaming PC. College students with limited space, children of divorcees, etc.

I have a Mini-ITX HTPC, sits in my living room. Doesn't need to be a mid-tower build to fill that role.

For a lot of gamers, with the only expansion card being the GPU, there is little need for a larger system.

I like to water cool, and having the extra space is useful, but you can also do Mini-ITX water cooling to decent effect. These days, could probably switch to MicroATX and not lose much of anything. But annoyingly high end boards tend to be ATX or Mini-ITX.

Oct 23, 2023
Depends on the use case and situation. Not every mini-ITX build is a 13900k and RTX 4090. Some are far more reasonable.

Portability and Size are big factors. People that don't want a portable gaming laptop (expensive, less performance) can carry around a small gaming PC. College students with limited space, children of divorcees, etc.

I have a Mini-ITX HTPC, sits in my living room. Doesn't need to be a mid-tower build to fill that role.

For a lot of gamers, with the only expansion card being the GPU, there is little need for a larger system.

I like to water cool, and having the extra space is useful, but you can also do Mini-ITX water cooling to decent effect. These days, could probably switch to MicroATX and not lose much of anything. But annoyingly high end boards tend to be ATX or Mini-ITX.
What kind of water cooling solution do you use for your mini-itx build(s)? Especially for workstations, if that matters.

Also "portability" in like, moving from location to location on a weekly/monthly basis or akin to "moving" once or twice in a set amount of time?
I appreciate your consideration!

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I was going to say portability as well. As a 'for instance' Bry over at TechYesCity built a very powerful rig for taking back and forth from Australia to Japan for editing on. It fits in a carry-on bag.
It is too bad that airplanes don't have outlets generally, otherwise, you could pack the PC, a small portable monitor, small keyboard and small mouse and game while on the plane. I know you could just use a steam deck or ally, but this would be way more powerful than either of those if it were possible.

USAFRet

Titan
It is too bad that airplanes don't have outlets generally, otherwise, you could pack the PC, a small portable monitor, small keyboard and small mouse and game while on the plane. I know you could just use a steam deck or ally, but this would be way more powerful than either of those if it were possible.
And then we hit some turbulence, and all of your crap goes flying.

Aircraft seating is already tight enough. If you were to start unpacking that pile of junk in the seat next to me, we're gonna have issues.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023

Aircraft seating is already tight enough. If you were to start unpacking that pile of junk in the seat next to me, we're gonna have issues.
:ROFLMAO: Hence the reason handhelds like the steam deck and ROG ally exist. I guess if you had some kind of proper outlet on the flight, you could use an external 4090 with the Ally. which would be a whole lot less crap to go flying.

USAFRet

Titan
:ROFLMAO: Hence the reason handhelds like the steam deck and ROG ally exist. I guess if you had some kind of proper outlet on the flight, you could use an external 4090 with the Ally. which would be a whole lot less crap to go flying.
Or, one could come to grips with the concept that you do not have to "game" every waking moment.

Take a nap, read a book, look out the window....

Reactions: Order 66

Crazyy8

Proper
Sep 22, 2023

I would never have people sit next to me on flights. I would buy an entire row of 6 seats just to spite the family that wants to sit together. I need my leg room, and if the aircraft can't provide it, I can. Plus, I can fit all the 4090s I bought when I head to china to sell them for 400% of what I bought em for.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What kind of water cooling solution do you use for your mini-itx build(s)? Especially for workstations, if that matters.

Also "portability" in like, moving from location to location on a weekly/monthly basis or akin to "moving" once or twice in a set amount of time?
I appreciate your consideration!

No real difference when water cooling any size of computer. Just have to cram all the components somewhere. Often achieved by combining some components. CPU/Pump combo. Pump in radiator, forgoing a reservoir. Slim fans.

There are bespoke cases for Mini-ITX water cooling. A lot of them end up being closer to micro ATX towers in size by just having space for radiators top and bottom. Generally avoided though because these can be very expensive. I kind of draw the line at the Lian Li H2O.

Others are more or less designed for an AIO since cooler height is often restricted. These can be adapted to custom water cooling.

I wouldn't typically think of Mini-ITX for a workstation, but I suppose there are applications that just need a fast CPU/GPU/Storage that would work.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead